Prison Escape: Springfield, SD Mike Durfee State Prison

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHaislet

Did anyone catch the prison escape early this morning in Springfield, SD?

A little after midnight Wednesday morning, three Native American males (ages 15, 16, and 18) escaped from the Mike Durfee State Prison in Springfield, SD.

About an hour later, an off-duty officer called in reporting he had been passed by a white Alltel Wireless pickup truck traveling at a very high rate of speed headed Eastbound on Hwy 50 towards Yankton, SD.

They suspected the escapees had stolen the truck.

The RP followed the truck into Yankton, at which time he lost sight of them. The truck was last seen headed Northbound on US 81.

Unfortunately, most of the SD highway patrol and the Bon Homme deputies were still in Springfield searching and setting up a perimeter and were thus unable to catch up to the pickup truck.

As of about 3:30am, it's quiet and most units have checked out for the night.

I'm sure they'll find these kids within the next couple of days as I doubt kids this age have too many local contacts.

KC0LOE

They found them already. There was also a highspeed persuit in Yankton the same night with a Dodge Viper.

JHaislet

Cool, any more details? I heard the APB for the Dodge Viper yesterday. It had New Jersey plates and was thought to be around south eastern South Dakota or northern Nebraska.

Status
Not open for further replies.