Prison Hostage Situation JTVCC

Status
Not open for further replies.

KD7DDC

At least they admit to pulling it down unlike the various "technical issues" that have plagued major event feeds in the last year. I on one hand understand, and on the other wish they wouldn't. It seems that this all started after San Bernardino. My guess is that some various threats have been made and RR/Broadcastify has to CYA.

phillydjdan

Update: building is secure and 1 prison employee was found dead as per news media. They've been all over the audio aspect on the Philly stations. Playing the inmate's voice as well as the negotiator's. Its irresponsible news reporting to me and this is why this sort of conversation shouldnt be broadcast over the internet for anyone to hear. You dont know what that 3rd party is going to do with that information or even who those 3rd parties are. If you have a scanner and are within earshot, fine. But not the average joe with a smartphone. One of these days it WILL be the reason someone dies...

chrishoerner

KC3KSJ
Premium Subscriber
Terrible news about the Guard.
The Prisoners will certainly not get anything they wanted now they should all be left in solitary indefinitely. I would imagine we will be looking forward to encryption on DELWIN now that it was on Broadcastify and the news. I blame Broadcastify as the reason 80% of LE comms are encrypted now.

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
At least they admit to pulling it down unlike the various "technical issues" that have plagued major event feeds in the last year. I on one hand understand, and on the other wish they wouldn't. It seems that this all started after San Bernardino. My guess is that some various threats have been made and RR/Broadcastify has to CYA.

Nope.

First and foremost, I personally investigate every report of a feed provider terms of service violation. Some of them are frivolous (as in cases where in progress events are broadcast over the general dispatch channels which is within our terms of service - but someone "complains")

In this incident's case, I alerted to a possible violation, and I directly asked the feed provider via email what specific talkgroups he was monitoring. He immediately replied it was a corrections OPS talkgroups. I immediately terminated the feed. The provider apologies and thought our policy was ambiguous with regards to the talkgroup, but I disagree so the feed won't be back.

Usually the way the process works is if I'm made aware of a TOS violation, I'll email the feed provider to get clarification on what is happening. I'll also listen to the feed, review alpha tags etc, and monitor forums such as these to gather inten. If I don't hear back within a matter of a few minutes and get an answer I'll terminate the feed and then follow-up. We had an instance last week with a North Texas based feed where I used this approach.

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
Also, and I've said this a thousand times, the ONLY time we've ever brought down a feed independent of a terms of service violation was during the manhunt after the Boston Marathon Bombings. That it.

Freqed

I'm just a listener
Premium Subscriber
Sorry that the feed was an issue, but not being a feed provider and not knowing the rules I cannot complain. I was intrigued by the feed and the incident as it was fascinating to hear how something like this goes, I read where CNN was listening as well as a lot of the story about the incident referenced traffic I heard while I monitored the feed. At the same time I am glad to hear that Mrs. M came out unhurt (physically) and sad to hear about the others that got hurt. I always look forward to the Alerts from my Scanner app and have heard a lot of history being made through the years, Good or Bad.

angry-user-2

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Yeah, thanks a lot, phillydjdan. The safety of the officers was fine, it was a prison and they were negotiating in that channel. The tactical stuff that may or may not have been taking place was elsewhere.

Maybe we need to come up with a distributed way for feed providers to share their streams. This is not the first time that Broadcastify arbitrarily bans things.
See? Great site! I got banned "for the greater good" just for posting my opinion.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
See? Great site! I got banned "for the greater good" just for posting my opinion.

No, you got banned due to your MULTIPLE accounts and repeated attempts to thwart the moderation process.

Nice try though. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.