• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Private Call P25 APX8000

I programmed my APX8000 to use my hotspot for amateur p25. I'm trying to read through the CPS help but I'm struggling to understand how to program in the ability to have a private call over P25 with another user.

Does anyone have insight that might help me?

hp8920

Where are you stuck? There's a number of steps
  1. Give your system a group number
  2. Add user to unified call list and associate ID with the system group number
  3. Associate personality with the system
  4. In the personality set ASTRO Call->Selective Call Rx/Tx to "Decode and Encode"
  5. Assign a Cnts menu item
  6. Find contact and PTT

Where are you stuck? There's a number of steps
  1. Give your system a group number
  2. Add user to unified call list and associate ID with the system group number
  3. Associate personality with the system
  4. In the personality set ASTRO Call->Selective Call Rx/Tx to "Decode and Encode"
  5. Assign a Cnts menu item
  6. Find contact and PTT
I'm stuck at step 2, because in the Unified Call List the Call ID field just says "Unassigned" and there are no options in there.

hp8920

I think you're in the hot list, not the unified call list.

Make sure you're in Call List Configuration->Unified Call List. Hit + to create a contact, select the contact, then hit folder to open the contact. Hit + under ASTRO Conventional ID. Set the system name, enter the Individual ID, and set Call Type to Individual.

I think you're in the hot list, not the unified call list.

Make sure you're in Call List Configuration->Unified Call List. Hit + to create a contact, select the contact, then hit folder to open the contact. Hit + under ASTRO Conventional ID. Set the system name, enter the Individual ID, and set Call Type to Individual.
Thanks!

I didn't think to hit the folder.

I was able to add the contact. Now I just need to understand how to make a private call over the hotspot. When I tried, it just says "Not Linked". I selected the contact again, hit the PPT and it linked me to the TlkGrp I had selected last.

You need to add contacts to the Unified Call List before you can select them for a Hot List.
Thanks. That's where I was stuck, because I couldn't figure out how to add the Call ID until I hit the folder icon on the Unified Call List contact row.

hp8920

MMDVM's P25 support is barebones and buggy and unfortunately, the whole project is stagnant. The first time will "not linked," subsequent attempts should work.

There's a known issue where MMDVM sends some random talkgroup in the headers until it sees the late entry information and corrects itself. Make sure your transmissions are at least several seconds long. Monitor the logs or dashboard to see what it's receiving.

MMDVM's P25 support is barebones and buggy and unfortunately, the whole project is stagnant. The first time will "not linked," subsequent attempts should work.

There's a known issue where MMDVM sends some random talkgroup in the headers until it sees the late entry information and corrects itself. Make sure your transmissions are at least several seconds long. Monitor the logs or dashboard to see what it's receiving.
Thanks for all the info.

infrastructure has to allow private call. Not sure a hotspot will.
Thanks. I think they will. I was having a QSO with another P25 user and they mentioned they use private call with another ham using hot spots. They were on a different radio so they couldn't really help me from a Motorola standpoint.
Also the other persons radio has to be configured to be able to receive private call.
True. I think I set it up right last night, when I attempted to make the call it attempted it on the radio. I'm just not sure if I'm supposed to just press the PPT or hold it, or what. The user wasn't expecting it and probably not at the radio, but I'll try it again with a bit of planning beforehand.

hp8920

infrastructure has to allow private call. Not sure a hotspot will.

MMDVM supports private calls on the RF interface. AFAIK, it does not support them over the network and reflector part; that handles talkgroup-based voice calls only. P25Link can handle more, like paging and TMS, but I do not know about private calls.

Private calls over a wide area hotspot network is difficult because you have to figure out where to route them and that requires handling registration, which requires data, etc.