Private Calls (I-Calls) on the RWC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KB7MIB

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686; U; en-US) Gecko/20081217 Vision-Browser/8.1 301x200 LG VN530)

Does anyone know if there are any Private Calls (GRE scanners) or I-Calls (Uniden scanners) on the RWC? How about on the Maricopa County system? Other systems? I've never heard any with my PSR-500, but that could be a programming error, as well lol

KB7MIB

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686; U; en-US) Gecko/20081217 Vision-Browser/8.1 301x200 LG VN530)

I program my PSR-500 by hand, btw, since that is usally one of the first questions asked.

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
Come to think of it, I have never, ever heard one on the RWC since the day it came online. I've listened in both trunked and conventional modes and in all cases I've yet to hear one or see an ID that looks like an I-Call. It seems odd that they wouldn't use that feature since just about every other trunked system in the Valley does. It could be that there are dedicated frequencies outside of the ones listed in our DB that are used for iCalls in conventional mode (and I bet they are all encrypted too).

Anyone know for sure? Certainly there has to be someone who has actually worked on the RWC hanging out in here.

-AZ

KB7MIB

The Maricopa County system does have them? I've never heard them on any of the systems I've monitored in the past: RWC, Maricopa County, Glendale (before they switched to the RWC), Luke AFB...

Astrak

They use Nextel or just make a phone call. Private calls between radio's would take up to much bandwidth on the system. The only channel I can think of that's simplex encrypted is A14 for SAU.

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
They use Nextel or just make a phone call. Private calls between radio's would take up to much bandwidth on the system. The only channel I can think of that's simplex encrypted is A14 for SAU.

You gotta be kidding me. Seriously this thing cost the taxpayers how many gajillion dollars? The radios themselves are 5 grand apiece - and this thing can't handle i-Calls? What a joke. Sorry, but the RWC should be able to handle that - it's supposed to be able to do live video streaming from the PD helo to units on the ground - remember that bucket of baloney? Meanwhile the FD's VHF system (based on the same 1960's technology that the PD said was so desperately necessary to replace) works just fine to this day. We've been sold one hell of a white elephant if you ask me.

To answer the other poster, I have heard iCalls on the County system MCSO uses from time to time. The probation guys use them a lot to check their voicemail. That can be some good listening at times. :)

-AZ

KB7MIB

Thanks. I'll have to monitor more closely.

Status
Not open for further replies.