• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Private Calls on P25 System

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
Can any scanner monitor private calls on a pure p25 system?
If so does the 700000 "wild card" word?

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
No, only Uniden's 396/996.

Yes, but you need to enable I-Call in the system setup.

Last edited:

rdale

Premium Subscriber
No they do not, they only get I-Calls on mixed mode or analog systems.

Only the 396/996 get I-Calls in P25 systems.

SCPD

QRT
Thanks guys. I have a 996 and was just curious.
My friend is a dispatcher for Omaha Police and Motorola told them that the private calls are secure and no one can monitor them even scanner listeners.

seamusg

KG4WHM said:
My friend is a dispatcher for Omaha Police and Motorola told them that the private calls are secure and no one can monitor them even scanner listeners.
I don't know why Motorola would tell them that. When a local city upgraded their system to P25 they restricted Private Calls on it because too much was being discussed on them and scanners were listening.

NeFire242

Premium Subscriber
Does Omaha encrypt theirs Nate? Last I knew Sarpy did. ( well when they remember too.. ) =\ Thanks

jparks29

John McClane
seamusg said:
I don't know why Motorola would tell them that. .

I do, because Motorola is full of **** and will say anything to sell a product......half of the officers in DC STILL think that "digital" means noone can hear them.....

datainmotion

Premium Subscriber
KG4WHM said:

A sales tool used by a tool trying to make a sale.

grem467

jparks29 said:
I do, because Motorola is full of **** and will say anything to sell a product......half of the officers in DC STILL think that "digital" means noone can hear them.....

on earlier smartzone type systems, the icalls were not able to be encrypted. With current tier products, you can set them to enc. So depending on the system, they CAN be the most secure comms.

SCPD

QRT
I heard a private call on Omaha's P25 system earlies today and it was not secure. So Motorola blow some smoke up Omaha's a$$ when they told them the private calls are secure and no one can hear them. This was with a 996.

grem467

The system admin did not choose to make them encrypted... how is that motorola's fault?
Its more the case of a system admin not knowing how to turn the option on.

Also how do you know that the users that were making the private call had the encryption hardware in their radios?

Again, on a properly configured RECENT VERSION system, private calls CAN BE the most secure comms on the network.

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
grem467 said:
The system admin did not choose to make them encrypted... how is that motorola's fault?
The Motorola company told them that the private calls were secure. The county doesn't have their own radio techs. The Motorola company and a local power company take care of the system.

Raccon

grem467 said:
Its more the case of a system admin not knowing how to turn the option on.
Is it known that they actually have this option, i.e. it may require a commercial license.

grem467 said:
Also how do you know that the users that were making the private call had the encryption hardware in their radios?
I guess if Motorola claims the system is secure than that should be a given, else the claim is false, or at least tied to certain conditions which may or may not have been communicated to the user.

SCPD

QRT
Also at the time the system was built, 2002 i believe, there was no scanner that could recieve private calls on a true P25 system. So in a way Motorola was correct.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I guess they were trying to say that other talk groups could not hear private calls. So it was "secure" in that regard.

rdale

Premium Subscriber
KG4WHM said:
Also at the time the system was built, 2002 i believe, there was no scanner that could recieve private calls on a true P25 system. So in a way Motorola was correct.

But they still could be heard in conventional mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.