Private channel niagara falls ny

Status
Not open for further replies.

tatman35753

Premium Subscriber
HELLO ALL PLZ CORRECT ME IF IM IN THE WRONG PLACE.. I LIVE IN NIAGARA FALLS NY I WAS FROM BUFFALO SOMTIMES ON THE POLICE CHANNEL I HEAR PRIVATE LINE IS ON AND WE CANT HEAR THE OFFICERS JUST THE DISPATCH... HOW AND WHERE WOULD I FIND THAT FREQ... PLZ HELP....tHANK YOU

methusaleh

1) When you post in all capitals, it conveys the impression that you are screaming. If that is your intent, same can be expressed without using all caps.

2) This post would be best re-located to the New York forum.

3) Private Line is Motorola's term for what has commonly become known as a "PL tone". Which is truly a misnomer, but that's beside the point. Look up and research CTCSS tones. You might have the correct frequency programmed, but the wrong tone.

For a hypothetical example (and agencies here in Vermont absolutely love to do this more than anywhere else I have lived), your local police primary repeater output may be 460.100MHz with a CTCSS tone of 100.0.

If you program that into your scanner, you will not hear, for instance, the car-to-car chat that takes place on 460.100 simplex with a tone of 71.9, or the city park bicycle patrol's low-power repeater on 460.100 with a tone of 203.5.

ecps92

In this case, it is "The Repeater is Disabled" and since Dispatch is hard-wired to the Repeater
they can hear the input.

Many BAPERN towns do the same. Milton calls it "Code White"

3) Private Line is Motorola's term for what has commonly become known as a "PL tone". Which is truly a misnomer, but that's beside the point. Look up and research CTCSS tones. You might have the correct frequency programmed, but the wrong tone.

D

DaveNF2G

2) This post would be best re-located to the New York forum.

This. The OP cannot move it, nor is he allowed by RR rules to start a new thread about this in that forum. Perhaps a kind Moderator can do the honors.

:wink:

tatman35753

Premium Subscriber
Ok thank you to all that replied.. I will look into the pl tones.. And sorry foe the caps

methusaleh

In this case, it is "The Repeater is Disabled" and since Dispatch is hard-wired to the Repeater
they can hear the input.

Many BAPERN towns do the same. Milton calls it "Code White"

I had never heard of that nomenclature used with that feature so it never occurred to me, hopefully the OP sees this.

Funny thing, about 15-20 years or so ago the agency I was with at the time participated in an exercise with some of the towns that belong to BAPERN (my agency was from farther west). One of my friends from the Guard works in one of those towns, and his portable had one very oddly-named channel in it, which he explained to me was an overcomplicated way of saying simplex on the repeater output, which he said some dispatchers were rather fond of for some reason.

ecps92

Off Topic. but a good learning lesson
The other use, is simplex - different tone as a Tactical/Secret channel on the input
Plenty of these in your 146.2 Hz Region :)

I also have found a major user, when a jail moved, and found an Non 131.8 Hz tone on the simplex/output of some Metro Fire town Repeaters as the K-9 units transitioned the inmates from the old site to the new Jail [in the middle of the Highway] :cool:
I had never heard of that nomenclature used with that feature so it never occurred to me, hopefully the OP sees this.

Funny thing, about 15-20 years or so ago the agency I was with at the time participated in an exercise with some of the towns that belong to BAPERN (my agency was from farther west). One of my friends from the Guard works in one of those towns, and his portable had one very oddly-named channel in it, which he explained to me was an overcomplicated way of saying simplex on the repeater output, which he said some dispatchers were rather fond of for some reason.

D

DaveNF2G

It could also be a form of masking. OPP used to do that, but theirs made noise when a mobile was transmitting.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
It could also be a form of masking. OPP used to do that, but theirs made noise when a mobile was transmitting.

OPP have never done that. The "marker" that was transmitted was never meant to obscure any transmissions and at no time did the dispatcher have any control over when it was being sent.

D

DaveNF2G

In any event, it was referred to in several sources at the time as "mobile mask."

tatman35753

Premium Subscriber
Private line

So when I'm listening to my scanner the police ask for private line they turn on a private line and I can only hear dispatcher I can't hear the officer is there something I'm doing wrong

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Could be encrypting the mobile side.

Sent from my LG-K330 using Tapatalk

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Private line

If they are turning off the repeater, you may still not hear the mobiles even with the correct frequency. Mobiles normally run less power, and their antenna height is very low compared to that of the repeater.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
What scanner you using? Certain ones will show if enc is in use. And if they are going direct it is unlikely you will get much if you are beyond 8 to 10 miles from the car depending on terrain etc.

Sent from my LG-K330 using Tapatalk

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Threads merged. Please don't start multiple threads asking the same question. It appears you've asked this question before and the answer hasn't changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.