Private EMS at its best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

seamusg

stiebs81 said:
Like I said before these private EMS companies do not do extensive background checks on its employees. You never hear stuff like this happening with municipal EMS services.
Municipal EMS do not do these types of transfers. She was being driven from a Downriver hospital to the New Baltimore facility.

bigbluemsp

From my experiences dealing with Private EMS is that they are trained better at least in my area they are. Well then again we only have 1 department that has their own EMS and that is Marysville FD.

Superior up to this point always was a stand up EMS company..

stiebs81

seamusg said:
Municipal EMS do not do these types of transfers. She was being driven from a Downriver hospital to the New Baltimore facility.

That's true municipal EMS does not do hospital transfers. However private EMS does hospital transfers and has EMS contracts for some cities like Sterling Hts and Clinton TWP. It just goes to show I would not want these shady people working in my city.

johnvassel

Not defending any illegal actions, but lets keep in mind he's just been CHARGED with this, not found guilty. (Or even had a trial).
Any one of us who transport a patient of the opposite sex or a minor could find themselves in the exact same position.
Accusations are easy to make. Lets find out if it's true before we convict this guy.

KB8UYC

Premium Subscriber
johnvassel said:
Not defending any illegal actions, but lets keep in mind he's just been CHARGED with this, not found guilty. (Or even had a trial).
Any one of us who transport a patient of the opposite sex or a minor could find themselves in the exact same position.
Accusations are easy to make. Lets find out if it's true before we convict this guy.

I seen this when it first came out and before it was here.....this guy is stupid and he has already admitted along with his partner that was driving that he did this. Will he be tried? Absolutly. He is being held on a 100,000 dollar bond. As the title says this is NOT EMS at its best. Once has to remember that this ambulance company was brought here to michigan not long ago and they tried to hire from every EMS company that works in this area. Just about every EMS company is required to do background investigations and problably did. I personally believe that the type of work(non emergent transports) is what got the best of this person, he probably though that no one would ever know. Unfortunatly we did.

"Any one of us who transport a patient of the opposite sex or a minor could find themselves in the exact same position"

This is true, but then again there is a big difference in a fly by night company, which is exactly what this EMS company is than a real private EMS company that is owned and operated by the local hosptials. Their standards are at a completly different level(though it should not be, they all should be at the same) and they are more professional. Professionalism goes a long way, and apparently this medic did not know what professionalism was. Charge him and convict him and that will keep him out of the back of an ambulance for a long time.

Railscan

QUOTE=stiebs81]That's true municipal EMS does not do hospital transfers. However private EMS does hospital transfers and has EMS contracts for some cities like Sterling Hts and Clinton TWP. It just goes to show I would not want these shady people working in my city.[/QUOTE]

They are NOT all shabby Most are dedicated workers! Just like cops, firemen and other public service workers. Yes several are shabby 7 rotten but you cant say they all shouldnt be working in your city!!!!!!!

fnnm1062

longtime member
If I may throw my 2 cents in here, I work for a private EMS company, and I can only say that I speak highly of my crews and we are like 1 big family. I know that in any profession there are always a few bad apples and this appears to be just that a bad apple. But like mentioned earlier this guy is only charged with it, lets wait until a hearing, before everyone tries to hang this guy.

jagr707

Long tansfers

You are right that the job was probably getting to him . Doing transfers all day can be quite mind-numbing. In addition, he was coming from downriver to New Balitmore. I have transfered to that facility before and its a haul for me and I'm much closer.

What it boils down to is your attitude, professionalism, and bedside manner. A long ride like that in the back can be tedious; who wants to sit in silence for an hour long tansfer? What happened here is that an EMT (who obviously has a mental problem himself IF this is true) lost control of the situation and himself. I can see this happening with some people and have seen it myself with private and municipal EMS.

This has happened to me before with patients suddenly making sexual remarks and gestures. There was not much else to do but DOCUMENT DOCUMENT DOCUMENT. Refuse politely and get back to their med hx or just don't say anything and change the subject. At its worst, I switched with my partner and drove instead. Let the receiving facility know what happened right away (incident reports help too). Sorry, I'm not going to lose my job and be tared and feathered for someone who just needs their meds.

Lastly, come on we are in this together. A EMT working for a private company has the same license as a municipal EMT. Some of us have no desire to be a firefighter, so where are we supposed to work (unless Detroit starts hiring again)? A background check might not do anything anyways if they have never been presented with the opportunity to act on a desire. Case in point: A person I know was straight As through HS- college, good job, no record, FAMILY, and just appeared on Michigan's sexual offender list for CSC with a minor. That was a surprise. Weirdos come from all backgrounds, sizes shapes and colors.

If this turns out to be true, I'm going to be sick. But until then, let the system work and we'll go from there.

J

Last edited:

feta92

Many of us "professionals" came from private EMS!!!!!!

I have many friends in both career FD's and private EMS that I would entrust my life or my family's life to. So just because of one bad apple do not try to spoil the bunch

stiebs81

johnvassel said:

The EMT was found guilty here's a link http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061117/METRO/611170349&SearchID=7326334738495 these rent-a-medics are nothing but a bunch of rejects who can not score high enough and pass an extensive background check to get hired on a local fire department.

fnnm1062

longtime member
stiebs81 said:
these rent-a-medics are nothing but a bunch of rejects who can not score high enough and pass an extensive background check to get hired on a local fire department.

I would like you to take back your comment. I know and work with several people who are emt's and paramedics who just have no desire to become a firefighter and others who work for a private ems and also has a volunteer or paid on call ff just who love what they do. I think your comments are out of line and uncalled for. I know there are several others who are out there who will agree with me on this. I hold nothing government ff/medics, government ff/emt, or any other level and think that just because there is a bad apple or two out there (both government and private) the rest of everyone else, does a damn fine job, and they need to be applauded after all we are all professionals.

dave

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
stiebs81 said:
EMS worker charged in assault. http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060819/METRO/608190328

Like I said before these private EMS companies do not do extensive background checks on its employees. You never hear stuff like this happening with municipal EMS services.

It has nothing to do with private, or municipal EMS. It has everything to do with people. People are unpredictable, background checks or not. There have been recent stories in the news regarding similar acts by Policemen, Firemen, EMS, Teachers, Priest, and lets not leave out the infamous Mark Foley scandal! If you've watch some of the pedophile sting operations on TV in recent months, they've busted IT professionals, Doctors, fathers with young children, you name it!

Bottom line, I would not trust anyone 100% in every situation! I think we give way to much credit to mankind being civilized.

jagr707

stiebs81 said:
The EMT was found guilty here's a link http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061117/METRO/611170349&SearchID=7326334738495 these rent-a-medics are nothing but a bunch of rejects who can not score high enough and pass an extensive background check to get hired on a local fire department.

Oh yeah and that comment was just pure professionalism. People use private EMS as a stepping stone to get into other medical fields as well. Most of the aspiring RNs I know want nothing to do with fires at all.

Background check? NREMT does that as well and you can't register if you have a felony. And the number one reason you don't see a municipal employee being caught for this is......drumroll..... they do not do this type of work. Take a rescue out of service for a psych transfer from downriver to northern Macomb.....would never happen.

Whatever
J

stiebs81

jagr707 said:
Oh yeah and that comment was just pure professionalism. People use private EMS as a stepping stone to get into other medical fields as well. Most of the aspiring RNs I know want nothing to do with fires at all.

Background check? NREMT does that as well and you can't register if you have a felony. And the number one reason you don't see a municipal employee being caught for this is......drumroll..... they do not do this type of work. Take a rescue out of service for a psych transfer from downriver to northern Macomb.....would never happen.

Whatever
J

I agree it is a stepping stone to get on a municipal department as a FF / Paramedic. The background checks to get on a city department are much more stricter than having a Felony. In many cases you cannot have a misdemeanor, or even sometimes repetitive civil infractions.

jagr707

That really depends on what city you work for. Im not disresrepecting anybody but I do expect a bit more respect for people who bust their A$$ all day. Like I have always said, we all have the same license. It dosnt matter who you work for at all. Ive seen horrible medics on both sides of the field, but I do agree it just makes it worse when they are a government employee. That tends to make a lot of news. Not having a background does not make you a good medic. It would not have helped in this case anyways because he had no priors anyways. The company canned him and contacted law emforcement, which is good enough for me.

Hell I was mad because my city got a black eye from a medic pretending to be an IC and screwing over an entire township becasue he wasnt. Some people are just good at not getting caught before they do something major.

We all do the same crap every day no matter who is paying us, so we'll take your comment as a misdemenor and leave it at that. Don't need that attitude here so let's get back to some radio discussion already!

stiebs81

My statement may have been a little too exteme. It's hard for anyone to get their paramedic license. I just think that people who test and get hired for the FF / Paramedic position on a municipal department have to go the extra mile as compared to a private ambulance paramedic. Without the private ambulance companies, these new potential candidates for FF / Paramedic would not have any experience to show for when testing and applying for a city job.

jagr707

Ok, I will agree. I am testing for a city myself. But maybe I was a bit to harsh in my defense. I work with outstanding people (many of whom work municipal as well) and just can't stand by and listen on how thay are all molesters and screwups. Just because they are private does NOT mean you are getting less quailty. That was my whole point. We back you up and you back us up. Peace brother!

J

Status
Not open for further replies.