Private jet crash in MN, 8 dead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raven95150

Premium Subscriber
A private jet crashed this morning while attempting to land in Owatonna, MN, which is about 60 miles south of Minneapolis. 7 people were confirmed dead at the scene and one person died later at a hospital. One person is still unaccounted for. It is thought that this person may have not been on the plane, but that has not yet been confirmed. There were heavy to severe storms in the area at the time.

http://www.kare11.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=520641&catid=2

Last edited:

pappy1

He did not say he monitored anything... The link is to a TV station news. Read carefully, try to understand what you read.

Raven95150

Premium Subscriber
No, I did not monitor any of it, I was just passing along the information from the news reports. That area is probably about 30 miles out of range for me. If I were closer and able to hear it, I probably would have been monitoring. I don't see anything wrong with that. That's what scanners are for.

One good thing though is the direction the plane was traveling. This airport is right on I-35. If the plane had been landing the other direction on the runway, it would have gone right across the freeway and into a populated area.

Also, it has now been confirmed that the missing person was not on the plane.

Last edited:

n9949y

poor Choices

Don't mess around near the ground where thunderstorms are .......

HTM
Commercial, ASMEL
CFI II
FAR-135 pilot, retired

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
There were no storms within miles at the time they landed.

But that's still good advice.

n9949y

Reports I've read indicated storms were recently within the area. With microbursts, severe down and updrafts, and significant horizontal wind changes that can and do accompany thunderstorms even at some distance that can give rise to adverse conditions. There was a SIGMET for the area......

rdale

Premium Subscriber
The storms departed about an hour previous... At the time of the landing, the winds were light, there was a very light shower in progress, and the closest lightning was nearly 10 miles away. Downbursts don't reach that far :)

n9949y

Well, you’ve listed surface conditions at or near the airport. However the incident didn’t occur there. With lightning reported about 10 SM or 8 NM from airport that makes for a close significant meteorological event occurring within an area where the aircraft was operating. A news piece reported, “there was a thunderstorm about five miles from the airport.”

During my flying days sometimes within 15 NM of thunderstorms, I’ve experienced both calm conditions and moderate to severe turbulence. What has been your experience flying general avation aircraft in IMC conditions, particularly in areas where there has been reported air mass thunderstorms?

I’d guess that when the NTSB completes its investigation and the probable cause is listed, meteorological conditions will be noted as a factor.

rdale

Premium Subscriber
Well, you’ve listed surface conditions at or near the airport. However the incident didn’t occur there.

Are you on the same event? The plane landed, for some reason didn't stop, took off again, dipped a wing, and crashed on the edge of the airport...

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
god bless their families
its scary flying in a storm, i wonder why they didnt change their course when they got into the storm

rdale

Premium Subscriber
"In the area" -- the storms were 10 miles away. There did not fly through the storms. They landed in light rain and light winds.

Crash was at 1500Z, and here are the obs:

DELTA METAR KOWA 311515Z AUTO 22012KT 10SM VCTSRA SCT021 BKN037 BKN050 18/17
A2986 RMK AO2 P0002 LTG DSNT E THRU SW

METAR KOWA 311455Z AUTO 17006KT 10SM RA SCT018 SCT029 BKN037 19/17 A2983
RMK AO2 P0009 LTG DSNT E THRU S

5 minutes before - 10 miles visibility in light rain, winds out of the south at 7mph, lightning 10 miles east and south.

15 minutes after - 10 miles visibility in sprinkles, winds out of the southwest at 14mph, lightning 10 miles east through southwest, a few strikes just inside 10 miles. All lightning > 5 miles away.

There were no storms in progress at the airport or in their flightpath when they landed. Witnesses on the ground confirmed that if you read the news story.

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
"In the area" -- the storms were 10 miles away. There did not fly through the storms. They landed in light rain and light winds.

Crash was at 1500Z, and here are the obs:

DELTA METAR KOWA 311515Z AUTO 22012KT 10SM VCTSRA SCT021 BKN037 BKN050 18/17
A2986 RMK AO2 P0002 LTG DSNT E THRU SW

METAR KOWA 311455Z AUTO 17006KT 10SM RA SCT018 SCT029 BKN037 19/17 A2983
RMK AO2 P0009 LTG DSNT E THRU S

5 minutes before - 10 miles visibility in light rain, winds out of the south at 7mph, lightning 10 miles east and south.

15 minutes after - 10 miles visibility in sprinkles, winds out of the southwest at 14mph, lightning 10 miles east through southwest, a few strikes just inside 10 miles. All lightning > 5 miles away.

There were no storms in progress at the airport or in their flightpath when they landed. Witnesses on the ground confirmed that if you read the news story.
whatever i dont care jsut reading as it says, lightning can strike miles off from the center
I didnt know we had such people here that are determined to prove others wrong, got a people issue?

rdale

Premium Subscriber
Not proving anyone wrong - just stating the facts. The facts are that lightning did NOT strike miles off from the center. If it did, the report would would say LTG VCNTY (lightning in the vicinity.)

If I posted that 2+2=5, wouldn't you have the courtesy to say it's 4? Or is that the sign of a "people problem"?

Status
Not open for further replies.