Private Wi-Fi network

Status
Not open for further replies.

mws72

Premium Subscriber
I would like to setup a private connection over wi-fi to actually control the scanner and listen to what is being heard. the display would mirror the scanner display. There would only one person on the connection. No internet would be involved.

rbm

Using an Android? iPhone? or other?

WiFi ONLY?

I can tell you the easy way to do that with an Android phone.
I have two private feeds that I can control remotely.
and......
I also have an un-activated prepaid Android phone I use around the house.
That was only $18 or so, when I bought it a few years ago.
It is WiFi only.
(you just have to use your local IP address ie. 192.168.1.2 etc.)

Rich

Using FreeSCAN remote server, WINAMP(Scanner Radio 'OR' XiiAlive on the phones) for audio, and RemoteFS for control.
Logging it all with SR PRO.

Last edited:

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
I would like to setup a private connection over wi-fi to actually control the scanner and listen to what is being heard. the display would mirror the scanner display. There would only one person on the connection. No internet would be involved.

What type of scanner?

mws72

Premium Subscriber
Well I wanted to look into using a raspberry PI as a wifi server I have two or three scanners that I would like to use..I want to go direct and not use the internet. right now I have one scanner and use a radio tx transmitter they sell for putting cd or whatever into car auto systems. Have range about a block and a half. (it on a second story)..

DC31

Feed Provider
Well I wanted to look into using a raspberry PI as a wifi server I have two or three scanners that I would like to use..I want to go direct and not use the internet. right now I have one scanner and use a radio tx transmitter they sell for putting cd or whatever into car auto systems. Have range about a block and a half. (it on a second story)..

I think that I understand what you are attempting... since you mention the pi i can tell you how i do it. Very simple. Setup darkice on the pi to do the audio streaming. On the same pi, set up an icecast server to receive and serve up that audio stream. With the pi connected to your home router (no internet needed), you can then browse using your phone or other device to the ip address of the pi (something like 192.168.0.XXX) port 8000 and play the stream on your device.

I apologize in advance for saying that it is "Very simple". That all depends on your level of expertise. What i am really saying is that it shouldn't be too difficult even for a beginner. If you are a little more advanced, i think that you may be able to stream all three scanners through the one pi (3 sound cards) all going to the icecast server on the pi (separate mount points).

Post your questions here and we will see if we can help.

Good luck

mws72

Premium Subscriber
I used to rebuild laptops I bought off ebay and used to search the internet for old parts of obsolete software. But this raspberry pi and wi-fi stuff can be daunting. Thanks for all the replies and I hope to have something cobbled together by this summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.