• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Private Wildcard

Status
Not open for further replies.

tipster67

With some help, I found that I could make a "Group Wildcard" for the G4... That opens all the Talkgroups to just one position. Did it by adding FFFF to a new TG. Is there a way to add a "Private Wildcard" to the radio? This way I would be able to monitor any I-calls. I sure hope I have asked this correctly.

N6ML

Not sure what problem you're trying to solve?

(assuming a P25 Trunked system) You'll receive any and all messages on the talkgroups in your list (or any talkgroup, with your wildcard), unless you've configured the knob position for Call Alert or Sub-Group.

tipster67

Not sure what problem you're trying to solve?

(assuming a P25 Trunked system) You'll receive any and all messages on the talkgroups in your list (or any talkgroup, with your wildcard), unless you've configured the knob position for Call Alert or Sub-Group.
Thank you... But you lost me here. Sorry, still trying to learn the programming. I may not have asked this the correct way. If that is so, I'm sorry. It's possible since I am referring to a "scanner" function versus this being a "Pager".

N6ML

Thank you... But you lost me here. Sorry, still trying to learn the programming. I may not have asked this the correct way. If that is so, I'm sorry. It's possible since I am referring to a "scanner" function versus this being a "Pager".

I think you're trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist. Trunking TG-Scan and TG-Monitor do not filter messages based on recipient ID, unless you use the Call Alert Binding Feature.

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
Using the TG FFFFF method was old school. It was the only way to use the wild card feature in older firmware. A few versions of firmware back they updated it to work with CPS that allowed you to program TG Monitor. Monitor being the new wildcard so you no longer had to program a TG with FFFFF.

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
Yup i think your right @kd8twg i believe he is trying to monitor private calls.
None of the systems around me use them. Its been years since i have seen an icall on a P25 trunking system. I do see them occasionally on a couple of DMR systems i monitor.

TonyCono

Premium Subscriber
Using the TG FFFFF method was old school. It was the only way to use the wild card feature in older firmware. A few versions of firmware back they updated it to work with CPS that allowed you to program TG Monitor. Monitor being the new wildcard so you no longer had to program a TG with FFFFF.

I thought setting up an "FFFF TG" and adding that TG to a Channel configured for "Trunk TG Monitor" was the way to hear all TGs on a given system. If i am wrong, what is the proper way to monitor all TGs on a system? You mentioned "CPS". I am not familiar with that acronym.

Also, is the G5 capable of Voice Storage for these TGs? I am finding that they are not recorded the way I have them setup now (Voice Storage is enabled for the FFFF TG i created).

ad8g

Feed Provider
I thought setting up an "FFFF TG" and adding that TG to a Channel configured for "Trunk TG Monitor" was the way to hear all TGs on a given system. If i am wrong, what is the proper way to monitor all TGs on a system? You mentioned "CPS". I am not familiar with that acronym.

I think - test this and let me know if I'm wrong - you only need to do Trunking TG Monitor. The "FFFF TG" method was a wildcard from before they had Trunk TG Monitor.

CPS = Customer Programming Software... that's what Motorola calls theirs and I think most people are just accustomed to that acronym. In Unication's world, it's PPS.

N6ML

I thought setting up an "FFFF TG" and adding that TG to a Channel configured for "Trunk TG Monitor" was the way to hear all TGs on a given system. If i am wrong, what is the proper way to monitor all TGs on a system?

The wildcard group is not needed when using Trunking TG-Monitor. It forces you to include at least one group in the list (oddly), but you can just pick any random group, and it will still monitor all traffic.

MidwestRadioListener

Premium Subscriber
Now is there a way of doing a monitor or ffff but exclude certain TG ids ? That would be cool to listen to everything on a particular site but get rid of a handful of talkative TGs but listening to all the others.

N6ML

Now is there a way of doing a monitor or ffff but exclude certain TG ids ? That would be cool to listen to everything on a particular site but get rid of a handful of talkative TGs but listening to all the others.

Unfortunately there is not (AFAIK)

GTO_04

Yup i think your right @kd8twg i believe he is trying to monitor private calls.
None of the systems around me use them. Its been years since i have seen an icall on a P25 trunking system. I do see them occasionally on a couple of DMR systems i monitor.

It seems like a lot, if not most, agencies have done away with private calls. The system users were using it like a cell phone lol.

GTO_04

Status
Not open for further replies.