Prlo-106 P25 Firmware Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

pratzert

Premium Subscriber
Has anyone heard any mention of RS coming out with a Firmware update to improve the reception of the P25 systems ?

Uniden has stated that they plan to release an update by the end of February for some of their units.

But the web has been silent on what RS may, or may not, be workking on,.

The one person I know would have some "inside" knowledge is Don Starr. But he has been mum on the subject as well.

Thanks for any info.....

KC5EIB

Feed Provider
Has anyone heard any mention of RS coming out with a Firmware update to improve the reception of the P25 systems ?

Uniden has stated that they plan to release an update by the end of February for some of their units.

But the web has been silent on what RS may, or may not, be workking on,.

The one person I know would have some "inside" knowledge is Don Starr. But he has been mum on the subject as well.

Thanks for any info.....

Since GRE makes the radio, What are they saying about their model?

pratzert

Premium Subscriber
Since GRE makes the radio, What are they saying about their model?

I have not read anything from GRE either.

No word from Don Starr, GRE or RS on the matter.

I'd appreciate at least a "hint" of what they are planning, if anything at all.

Unfortunately, if some sort of firmware is released to improve the P25 reception, it will go to the GRE radios first as the RS version of the firmware has always been months later.

On the other hand, Uniden has just released a firmware update which has improved the reception "somewhat" from what I'm reading so far.

Last edited:

z96cobra

There was a CPU firmware update for the Pro-106/197 just last month. Have you installed it? I've been too lazy to update mine.

The last DSP update was way back in 2010.

pratzert

Premium Subscriber
There was a CPU firmware update for the Pro-106/197 just last month. Have you installed it? I've been too lazy to update mine.

The last DSP update was way back in 2010.

Yes... I installed the latest. It made no difference in the reception of the P25 system, nor was it supposed to.

It addressed other things.

chadg2

I also thought I needed a firmware upgrade to improve my P25 reception, but I'm now using a better antenna and got it out side and up very high and this took care of my P25 reception problems.

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
I also thought I needed a firmware upgrade to improve my P25 reception, but I'm now using a better antenna and got it out side and up very high and this took care of my P25 reception problems.

I tend to believe this is 90% of most peoples P25 decode issues. Uniden, GRE or Radio Shack doesn't matter they all need a decent signal to decode the P25. I don't think just because Uniden released a f/w update for the 396XT/996XT that the other brands are in any hurry to do the same or feel presured to do so. Both manufactures I'm sure are hard at work on their next model to include FDMA/TDMA capable units and any further f/w updates for the current models probably won't happen. You never know thought....glass is half full here. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.