Pro-106 800mhz Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

kendrik578

Live Audio Administrator
Database Admin
Here are two good ones the first one, I have heard great reviews on but cannot comment as to how well they perform in person.

GRE 800 MHz Flex Angle Antenna

The other I do own and it performs great even in the area I am in where 800 on the west side of town is terrible.

800 MHz 2.5db Gain Base BNC Scanner Antenna

I seen on the review about the second one that it breaks within about 15 months is this true?

Also i guess this one is the same and will work with 106? http://www.scannermaster.com/800_MHz_2_5db_Gain_Professional_Portable_Antenna_p/14-540714.htm

Can someone please provide a review on the Flex Angle Antenna.

in my opin,,

you not going to want an antenna with that sort of rigid joint for a handheld,,
ive wizzed through them,the -hinge-severely limits the longevity of the units.
unless you can find one with a metal assembly-id steer clear,,1 or 2 wrong
way bends will result in your antenna being junked.

look on ebay,search BNC antenna,take a good look at the hits,,maybe post
a couple choices here with linx to them for more expncd members to chime
in on,,

i think ive heard diamond makes a good ant for handhelds..

Last edited:

fireant

I have never had a problem with it breaking had it for some time now. I know that, I have a Antenex or something along that line that I got from Waltel before he went out of business that works great as well. Its on my 396 but cannot remember the exact brand. Wish I could, maybe someone here will chime in with the brand as a lot of members on here shopped there when he was open as well.

fireant

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I have never had a problem with it breaking had it for some time now. I know that, I have a Antenex or something along that line that I got from Waltel before he went out of business that works great as well. Its on my 396 but cannot remember the exact brand. Wish I could, maybe someone here will chime in with the brand as a lot of members on here shopped there when he was open as well.

fireant
Fireant, I got the same antenna, from Waltel, for my 396T.

I believe it was a Centurion, product # on the order was CRNEXE806SM. However, the CRN, I believe, was his internal code for Centurion, and the manufacturer's model may simply be EXE806SM (the SM for the SMA mount for the 396). Looks to be the same as this one.

More gain than the R/S 800mhz, but I don't use it as much as I thought I would. While there are a large number of 800mhz trunked systems in the area, Dallas (city), is still on Uhf conventional, and a number of the other agencies that I have loaded are Vhf-high (Tx DPS, to name just one of them). This antenna is weighted toward the 800 band such that I lose coverage of the others. However, if the 800 coverage is what you need, this one would do it. This would be my antenna of choice if this area ever went to a regional trunked system on 700 & 800mhz. Right now, it's a mix of Vhf, Uhf, & 800.

edit to add:I did not see it on the website linked, but there was a BNC version available at the time I ordered my SMA antenna. Perhaps a different dealer stocks that, which would fit the Pro-106.

Last edited:

kendrik578

Live Audio Administrator
Database Admin
Fireant, I got the same antenna, from Waltel, for my 396T.

I believe it was a Centurion, product # on the order was CRNEXE806SM. However, the CRN, I believe, was his internal code for Centurion, and the manufacturer's model may simply be EXE806SM (the SM for the SMA mount for the 396). Looks to be the same as this one.

More gain than the R/S 800mhz, but I don't use it as much as I thought I would. While there are a large number of 800mhz trunked systems in the area, Dallas (city), is still on Uhf conventional, and a number of the other agencies that I have loaded are Vhf-high (Tx DPS, to name just one of them). This antenna is weighted toward the 800 band such that I lose coverage of the others. However, if the 800 coverage is what you need, this one would do it. This would be my antenna of choice if this area ever went to a regional trunked system on 700 & 800mhz. Right now, it's a mix of Vhf, Uhf, & 800.

Thanks everyone. I guess im going to look into getting this one.
So i guess i could use the one from scannermaster.

Last edited:

rmiller818

Other than the RS 800Mhz antenna, on my Pro-106 I pretty much only use a quarter wave 800Mhz antenna. I don't have a brand or other info (came with another scanner I bought on ebay) but it works really well for monitoring my county's trunk system, better than the RS 800Mhz antenna actually. Don't know what your monitoring situation it though, that could have something to do with it.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
ok here is the one im going with
BNC Connector - 800-866 Port. Ant BNC, 8"

Just to confirm this is same one as scannermaster and should work with 106?
Kendrik,
That looks like a dead-ringer for the one I have (other than the BNC vs. an SMA connector), and if the picture is correct on the ScannerMaster page link, that appears to be the same as well. It is a half-wave antenna (as opposed to a 1/4 wave length). Good gain if you need the help on 800 more than anything else.

Just remember that the 106 (like it's cousin the PSR500, which is what I have) is prone to overloads with strong signals, so it can hurt, rather than help you, around cell towers or SMR transmit sites, unless you're using the attenuator.

kendrik578

Live Audio Administrator
Database Admin
Kendrik,
That looks like a dead-ringer for the one I have (other than the BNC vs. an SMA connector), and if the picture is correct on the ScannerMaster page link, that appears to be the same as well. It is a half-wave antenna (as opposed to a 1/4 wave length). Good gain if you need the help on 800 more than anything else.

Just remember that the 106 (like it's cousin the PSR500, which is what I have) is prone to overloads with strong signals, so it can hurt, rather than help you, around cell towers or SMR transmit sites, unless you're using the attenuator.

OK thanks. I think i am going to get it from scannermaster so at least i know who im dealing with. The ATT i use just about everyday i now know just about every part in the city where i have to use ATT:).

kendrik578

Live Audio Administrator
Database Admin
I got the antenna and so far happy with it. One question, is it ok or normal to be able to slip the rubber cover off? I was messing with it and i was able to take cover off and just wondering if it was designed to do that.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I got the antenna and so far happy with it. One question, is it ok or normal to be able to slip the rubber cover off? I was messing with it and i was able to take cover off and just wondering if it was designed to do that.
For the SMA version that I have, it's glued together very solid. Short of intentionally trying to force it off (or leaving it in the sun so long it possibly gets soft), I don't see it's cover coming off. I sold my BNC version to a co-worker, so I no longer have it handy, but as I recall, there was no significant difference between them, other than the connector at the 'radio end'. The rubber tip cap seems well secured as well.

Of course, mine is (was) a Centurion version. Perhaps some manufacturing change made since the product line was acquired by Laird?

kendrik578

Live Audio Administrator
Database Admin
For the SMA version that I have, it's glued together very solid. Short of intentionally trying to force it off (or leaving it in the sun so long it possibly gets soft), I don't see it's cover coming off. I sold my BNC version to a co-worker, so I no longer have it handy, but as I recall, there was no significant difference between them, other than the connector at the 'radio end'. The rubber tip cap seems well secured as well.

Of course, mine is (was) a Centurion version. Perhaps some manufacturing change made since the product line was acquired by Laird?

Its not really like i can just pull up and it comes off, it has a good grip so i would have to twist and wiggle it off. I did look to see where it might have been glued but didn't see anything.

Just want to know if anyone else has seen this so i know if i need to get a replacement.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.