Pro-106 and pro-2020 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
when I adjust the volume on either one it makes a scratchy noise like maybe they are a little dirty. I took the 106 apart and sprayed what I could get to, but it still does it. Any suggestions or should I send them off.

Premium Subscriber

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
I have a 106 and have successfully used Radio Shack electronics cleaner a couple of times. The RS version is not available any more, but there are similar products. When I worked at a large school system repairing computers, we avoided compressed air because it could actually blow dirt deeper into crevices and small parts.

tvengr

Well Known Member
You need contact cleaner. Compressed air will not do it. Radio Shack pots are notorious for being noisy. Sometimes. running the pot up and down numerous times will scrub the contacts.

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
They ALL do that, every one that I understand of the GRE/Radio shack and whistler made ones., it will happen depending on how much it is adjusted as brand new ones will have the same problem in a month or two. I understand the adjusters(potentiometers- aka pots) are metal sealed at least on your 106, dont know on the 2020 so it will be tough getting cleaner to make its way presumably from top - down into the contacts.

Found Scratchy volume

Last edited:

DJ11DLN

Ronaldski is correct. You 106 and all GRE500 radios have this problem. I've got a 197 and a 651 that both do it and every other one I've ever been around was like that. Get the volume adjusted where you want it and it's usually fine though.

Status
Not open for further replies.