Pro 106 and Trunking

Status
Not open for further replies.

ab8sn

Premium Subscriber
Hey fellows

I have a Pro 106 and I monitor the WVIRP. I just got it programmed with my computer. What I was wondering was in order for it to "scan" the trunking sites, if figured out that I needed to have a wildcard object programmed into each site and scan list that it corresponded with. When I run Win500 I see the talkgroups I've found and saved as well as the talkgroup objects.

Other than those talkgroups I've saved and named with the software I still see the wildcard object in each. Will this scanner still pick up all active talkgroups on a system if there is a stored talkgroup within that system and deleting the wildcard object? Or must I keep the Wildcard object active at all times in order to pick up the traffic?

As always thanks in advance

Chad

mikey60

Hey fellows

I have a Pro 106 and I monitor the WVIRP. I just got it programmed with my computer. What I was wondering was in order for it to "scan" the trunking sites, if figured out that I needed to have a wildcard object programmed into each site and scan list that it corresponded with. When I run Win500 I see the talkgroups I've found and saved as well as the talkgroup objects.

Other than those talkgroups I've saved and named with the software I still see the wildcard object in each. Will this scanner still pick up all active talkgroups on a system if there is a stored talkgroup within that system and deleting the wildcard object? Or must I keep the Wildcard object active at all times in order to pick up the traffic?

As always thanks in advance

Chad

The Wildcard object is only need to hear talkgroups that you have not programmed into your scanner. If you have programmed in the specific talkgroups you want to hear, and don't want to hear others, you can delete the Wildcards.

One way to think of wildcards is Open vs. Closed mode on the other GRE models. If there's a wildcard in the scan list, it's similar to Open Mode on the other models (You hear all talkgroups, not just those that you've programmed in). Without the wildcard, it's like Closed mode on the others, where you will only hear those talkgroups you have previously programmed into the system.

Mike

ab8sn

Premium Subscriber
Pro 106 trunking

The Wildcard object is only need to hear talkgroups that you have not programmed into your scanner. If you have programmed in the specific talkgroups you want to hear, and don't want to hear others, you can delete the Wildcards.

One way to think of wildcards is Open vs. Closed mode on the other GRE models. If there's a wildcard in the scan list, it's similar to Open Mode on the other models (You hear all talkgroups, not just those that you've programmed in). Without the wildcard, it's like Closed mode on the others, where you will only hear those talkgroups you have previously programmed into the system.

Mike

Mikey

I really appreciate it. I'm unsure of all the current users on the WVIRP so I guess I'll have to keep the wildcard object active until I see who is all using the system so I don't miss anything.

That makes sense to me now when you mentioned open and closed mode. I'm familiar with that because I also have a Pro 96.

Chad

mikey60

If you want to make it quick and easy, you can place the wildcard in it's own scan list, which will allow you to enable and disable it quickly. Keep in mind though if you do, that when you use the STOR function to store a found talkgroup, it will inherit the properties of the Wildcard, including Backlight, LED, alert sounds, and Scanlist memberships.

Mike

ab8sn

Premium Subscriber
If you want to make it quick and easy, you can place the wildcard in it's own scan list, which will allow you to enable and disable it quickly. Keep in mind though if you do, that when you use the STOR function to store a found talkgroup, it will inherit the properties of the Wildcard, including Backlight, LED, alert sounds, and Scanlist memberships.

Mike

Hey Thanks Mikey. I think I'll just keep it the way it is since I travel to other various counties often and have each scan list programmed with the correct corresponding frequencies and site control channels. That way when I store and name them they will match with the other county information.

Thanks again.

Chad

Status
Not open for further replies.