Pro 106 Annoyances

Status
Not open for further replies.

GumbyCT

I am still learning the many, many, features this great little scanner has to offer.

Don't misunderstand me, I like my Pro-106 it does have some great features like the audio, sensitivity, etc. But for the money and for right now, I'd like to focus on things that "Annoy" the folks using this great HandHeld scanner.

I am hopeful that maybe the next generation of the 106 will be that much better.

I'll start with a couple and then see if there are some I have yet to discover.

This one I mentioned in another thread but thought it might be worthy of its own space.
http://forums.radioreference.com/ra...ltage-level-pro-106-question.html#post1230972

when plugging or unplugging the power source the scanner often displays -
**Low Voltage**
Replace or
Recharge the
Batteries

But then there are times when the scanner does continue scanning - which I think is the desired option.

No scanning takes place and No keys are active while this message is displayed. The only way I've been able to continue is to momentarily turn the On/Off switch Off then back ON. More of a nuisance or annoyance than anything.

But if you are chasing a call and grab the scanner, unplug it while running out the door you are extremely likely to miss the next transmission(s), even IF you do remember to cycle the power.
I am wondering if others also get that message? Yes?? No?? Thoughts??

2. There is NO indication when the thing IS charging, like an led.

3. The Squelch control often gets moved when adjusting the volume - without me knowing it. Further, it is difficult to see where the squelch control is set.

4. The keypad layout is way too different from the Pro-197. It would be great if they were somewhat close in layout if they couldn't be identical.

5. Also the writing (labeling) of the keys is small. I can see it but NOT if I am driving and trying to push buttons or read the display.

6. Oh, Oh, I cloned the 106 from the 197 and to my amazement the battery type was changed back to alkaline. I am not so sure the 197 has a battery setting so I am not sure why this was changed during the cloning.

7. There is no way (that I know of) to check the remaining battery life before you get the audio warning that they are weak.

More may come to mind as time goes on here but I'd like to hear thoughts from others who have used this great little scanner and have thought of their own. Good, Bad, or Different.

Thanks,
Gumby

tglendye

Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River
Premium Subscriber
#1- I feel your pain. I don't have a 106, but on my 500 it is the same.

#6- I'm just guessing... would it save the battery type to alkaline as a safety feature to insure that alkaline batteries were not charged?

#7- I'm pretty sure on the 500 you can access battery level by going through menu options. Not sure about the 500.

chipl57

#2...There is a battery icon in the upper right corner of the display that flashes when the battery is charging...

GumbyCT

#2...There is a battery icon in the upper right corner of the display that flashes when the battery is charging...
Thanks, I didn't know that.

It flashes one every 2-3 secs. and is easily missed. There is NO indication if the power is OFF. Maybe an LED above the power jack would be helpful. My Pro-34 had a separate charge jack but no indicators either.

tglendye

Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River
Premium Subscriber
tglendye;1234414...#7- I'm pretty sure on the 500 you can access battery level by going through menu options. Not sure about the 500.[/QUOTE said:
Ooops. I meant "Not sure about the 106".

GumbyCT

#7- I'm pretty sure on the 500 you can access battery level by going through menu options. Not sure about the 500.
Oh yes it is there. Buried pretty deep tho.

PGM > GLOB > Scroll Down 11 times to Battery Info > SEL
tho I am not sure what the numbers mean just yet.

Perhaps having a Preference key or something you could setup shortcuts to would be helpful?

Thanks,
Didn't know that one either.

Guess, the 500 should have the same features and/or annoyances ;)

Edit: I didn't even notice the tpyo - I 'new what you meant - ha.

ps. you should be able to go back and Edit that!! :) for a short while anyway. Not sure just why there is a time limit?

Last edited:

ab8sn

Premium Subscriber
I have the Pro 106 and love it. I use both alkaline and NIMH batteries but charge them in an external charger. It really is a great scanner with a rather large learning curve but that's not an issue with me. The only issue that I can see that I've noticed about it is, when mobile, if the signal strength is not at least three bars on a particular transmission the squelch does not open. While sitting still or at home it picks up fine even if the signal strength is only 1 bar. This is a little annoying to me because it causes me to miss most of the conversations that I hear while mobile.

Just curious if any of you have this issue with either the 106 or the 500. Other than that it is an swesome scanner.

73s

Chad

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
Yes, i have noticed that in the mobile and i think its because the front end is overloaded with signal from cell towers etc...I do not get that problem with my Uniden 396XT in the mobile and there is no interference near cell towers on trunking systems on the Uniden but the "audio" on the GRE/RS products is excellent...Here at home your correct , 1bar on certain freqys works fine on the GRE/RS....My PRO96 was not like the GRE500, it had a better frontend....

DonS

1.I am wondering if others also get that message? Yes?? No?? Thoughts??
It's caused by the mechanical disconnect/connect of the batteries when you insert/remove the external power plug. The only way to ensure that it doesn't happen is to turn the scanner off before disconnecting/connecting external power.
2. There is NO indication when the thing IS charging, like an led.
When turned ON, the scanner should, as mentioned previously, blink the battery icon while charging.

When turned OFF: If it's plugged into external power and you're using the yellow battery holder, the batteries are being charged.

6. Oh, Oh, I cloned the 106 from the 197 and to my amazement the battery type was changed back to alkaline. I am not so sure the 197 has a battery setting so I am not sure why this was changed during the cloning.
The two scanners contain exactly the same "programming". The PRO-197 ignores (and doesn't show you in the menus) the battery type setting, but it's there nonetheless. When you cloned from the 197, the 106 received the 197's "alkaline" setting.

7. There is no way (that I know of) to check the remaining battery life before you get the audio warning that they are weak.
The battery icon should turn on (solid) when the batteries are getting low. The audible warning should sound at the same time that icon starts flashing.

GumbyCT

It's caused by the mechanical disconnect/connect of the batteries when you insert/remove the external power plug. The only way to ensure that it doesn't happen is to turn the scanner off before disconnecting/connecting external power.
This I knew. But even old technology like my Pro-34 doesn't behave this way. Leading me to believe that it can be prevented.

I do think it is worthy to point this out so people who will expect to leave the unit on charge but then unplug it when a call comes in will know to expect a void in reception. That's all.

Thanks for all the replies.

GumbyCT

Oh, I forgot to mention a few more annoyances. Some of it may get grouped together.

8. For the price of the RS Pro-106, it doesn't even come with a charger or batteries. Nothing to power it. Like buying a car without both battery AND tires!

Not even a part # or a recommendation. I know what the manual says but there is NO A/C adapter with the specs 9V 500mA and they don't even mention any of their part #'s to use.

9. There is not even a mention of the spec (size) for the DC coaxial connector. I know now it is a 'C'. For the money it also should have been included.

10. As should the programming cable.

11. Again not included is the "Cloning Cable". Search the Shack site or ask an employee for a "Cloning Cable" and see what you get. I used the 42-2387 6ft "audio" cable with stereo plugs at both ends.

Little things yea but all add to the expense when you consider buying or using a Pro-106. The expenses prob desires it's own space.

Anyone got any annoyances of their own?

cfr301

Heres my Thoughts if your that annoyed with it sell it to me for 100.00 and buy something else. You can sit here a nit pick any scanner made, its been done over and over on this forum.

GumbyCT

Heres my Thoughts if your that annoyed with it sell it to me for 100.00 and buy something else. You can sit here a nit pick any scanner made, its been done over and over on this forum.
Did you miss this part?
GumbyDamit said:
Don't misunderstand me, I like my Pro-106 it does have some great features like the audio, sensitivity, etc. But for the money and for right now, I'd like to focus on things that "Annoy" the folks using this great HandHeld scanner.

num's 3 n 4..

yeah,that squelch should have a notched feature to keep it a lil more snug,
But, I do think its better than my pro97's! meaning rounder shape and a bit bigger.

the keypad,,
its different,i dont have an issue,just as cellphones have different layouts,

i do enjoy the higher keypad,placed mid drift between teh LCD and Speaker...
ive got large paws,it makes it easier to grip my multi hundred dollar gizmo and
still be able to key in settings.

for the record,im glad RS didnt get all silly over keeping the case design from the
pro96,,loved the 96 but allways wished it was fitted into a 97 body..

kayi4cle

Premium Subscriber
The biggest annoyance for me (and probably worth griping about again; sorry if you've heard this before) is monitoring a channel or talkgroup which has both encrypted and clear transmissions, and hearing the encrypted noise. It sticks on the channel with the noise, rather than muting it and moving on to another channel (where there may be traffic I am missing). Also, the radio is a little too large.

The first issue is more than an annoyance, and I may sell because of it (but not for $100 – LOL!).

I am still learning the many, many, features this great little scanner has to offer.

The puny power-on button will fail in no time... it is barely hanging on to start with, and will fatigue sooner than later. Cheap switch actuator design.

Last edited by a moderator:

GumbyCT

Connecticut State Police missing from the V-folder

I think this would be #12 found in another post. Thought I'd add it here.
I have the old Pro-96 scanner and just purchased the new Pro-106 scanner and I noticed that they dont have the CT State Police in the V-Scanner folder for the Pro-106 like they had on the Pro-96 what happend.

I don't know about your state but I guess the Connecticut State Police are missing from the V-folder. But then I don't really know what all is included in the V-folder or how accurate they are.

http://forums.radioreference.com/radio-shack-scanners/185357-v-scanner-folder-pro-106-a.html

Status
Not open for further replies.