Pro 106 antenna question

Status
Not open for further replies.

a23051coug

I am currently using the stock antenna on my Pro 106. Is there a better choice to help pickup our state trunked system as well as our conven. VHF channels. The state system ranges from 156.0000 to 160.0650. Or main conven. channel is 158.76. Don't know if the RS800 would make much of a difference. Thanks

GrayJeep

Premium Subscriber
The RS800 (clone of the GRE800) made a world of difference with my handheld.

If your system is an 800Mhz system that should be true because the antenna is tuned for that freq range.

The OP's system is in the 150-160Mhz range. An antenna tuned for 800 Mhz should be worse than stock in the 150-160 range.

They (RS) used to sell a much longer rubber duck antenna which would work better than standard rubber duck for VHF.

I use this antenna Diamond RH77CA SRH77CA Antenna in the car on a suction cup mount inside the windshield Valor BNCSCRS suction cup mount and it works both 800 and VHF quite well.

It's kind of long to use clipped to your belt but at least it's very flexible. (I recommend 2 right-angle BNC connectors between radio and antenna when walking around wit the radio to allow the connectors to swivel instead of applying forces to the connector on the radio.)

a23051coug

please excuse me for being really stupid. What does OP mean and I'm guessing the 800mhz won't help since our state system(south dakota) is in the 160's.

satosi

please excuse me for being really stupid. What does OP mean and I'm guessing the 800mhz won't help since our state system(south dakota) is in the 160's.

OP means "original poster" referring to the creator of the thread. In this case that would mean you. As for antennas, I'm not very knowledgeable but I know that a UHF/800MHz antenna would not help since your system is in the VHF range.

Nasby

Second on the Diamond RH77CA antenna. Readily available from multiple ham radio dealers on the web.
This antenna can't be beat for vhf-hi reception. Especially in the 160 mhz range.

Status
Not open for further replies.