Pro-106: pro-106 bnc issue

marcus45

Premium Subscriber
Hey there, I'm new here. I have spoken with numerus people and companies about this issue. My 106 will not connect with my outdoor antenna. The bnc connector on the radio is not loose. However, I have tried many coax to bnc adaptors and get nothing. These same adaptors work with my other HTs as does my various rubber ducks. I'm stumped. Any help will be appreciated. Thank you.

tvengr

Well Known Member
Make sure the center pin on your external antenna cable is not pushed in or broken off. The PRO-106 scanners have a common problem. If you put too much stress on the antenna connector, it will break the solder connection between the center pin of the antenna connector and the circuit board. I assume your 106 will not work with a rubber duck either. You will need to open up the scanner and repair the broken connection. Do your HT's transmit? If they do and you keyed up one close to the 106, you may have blown the RF amp in the scanner.

tvengr

Well Known Member
No, actually it works with all my rubber ducks.
If that is the case, it sounds like the receiver is being overloaded or you are experiencing simulcast distortion. Which trunked systems or conventional frequencies are giving you problems? Do any of your other radios have trouble using the outside antenna?

Last edited:

marcus45

Premium Subscriber
I hooked up other radios and they did fine. There are no trunked systems that I can receive. I read about the overload issue. I found an article about just that problem. I'm not familiar with simulcast distortion. Anyway, it is all reception that is the issue. I can't get my weather stations. With the antenna hooked up to my other radios I get two or three weather stations. A rubber duck on the scanner gets two.

marcus45

Premium Subscriber
I'm in lee county fl. With my scanner I can't get anything. Everything seems to be encrypted or a system I can't monitor. I get a fair bit of conventional traffic. I think it may be the overload issue.

marcus45

Premium Subscriber
I have a pro-2003 that I have programed for my local airports and fire/ems. The antenna system works well with it. Also, no problems with a marine and cb HT, receive only of course. I have not tried the attenuator. Thanks for the thought! I'll try it and let you know what happens.

marcus45

Premium Subscriber
You sir are a genius. I must be slippin. The attenuator just slipped my mind. Thanks again.

Nasby

I'm in lee county fl. With my scanner I can't get anything. Everything seems to be encrypted or a system I can't monitor. I get a fair bit of conventional traffic. I think it may be the overload issue.
The “good stuff” or what’s left of it (fire/ems) in Lee County is on a phase 2 simulcast system. The Pro106 can’t receive phase 2. Even though the database shows there are phase 1 talkgroups on the Lee County System I never received anything with my Phase 1 scanner. I had to use my SDS.