Pro-106: Pro 106 buttons not working

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do I do?
Here's how to reset...

Initialize The Scanner (TOTAL RESET!!!!!!!)

1. First turn the scanner OFF then back on again.
"Welcome To Digital Trunking" will display

2. Press the 0 button. "System Tests; Select Test; Exits if no Key Press" will display.

3. Press the number 1 button. "Factory Init; Erase Memory; ENTER if Yes; CL to Exit" will display.

4. Press the ENTER button. "Initializing; Clr Main Mem; V-Scan is OK; Please Wait" will display.

Wait until the initialization of the scanner is complete before turning it off. When the scanner has finished initializing, "M000" will display on the top line and "Bank 0 Ch 00" will display on the bottom line.

GeneseeCoMI

Here's how to reset...

Initialize The Scanner (TOTAL RESET!!!!!!!)

1. First turn the scanner OFF then back on again.
"Welcome To Digital Trunking" will display

2. Press the 0 button. "System Tests; Select Test; Exits if no Key Press" will display.

3. Press the number 1 button. "Factory Init; Erase Memory; ENTER if Yes; CL to Exit" will display.

4. Press the ENTER button. "Initializing; Clr Main Mem; V-Scan is OK; Please Wait" will display.

Wait until the initialization of the scanner is complete before turning it off. When the scanner has finished initializing, "M000" will display on the top line and "Bank 0 Ch 00" will display on the bottom line.

I don't want to delete the memory. I have hundreds of channels/talkgroups on it and no software or cable. What else can I do?

tvengr

Well Known Member
Turn off the scanner. Turn on the scanner. At the welcome screen press and release 0 and then press and release 2. That will reset global settings to factory defaults without erasing the memory. Before you do that, let me know what is displayed on the screen. You sent your last post just before I did mine.

GeneseeCoMI

Turn off the scanner. Turn on the scanner. At the welcome screen press and release 0 and then press and release 2. That will reset global settings to factory defaults without erasing the memory. Before you do that, let me know what is displayed on the screen. You sent your last post just before I did mine.

I see the welcome screen but nothing happens when I press 0 or 2.

GeneseeCoMI

I fixed it, I think. The down button seemed to be stuck. It seems to be halfway stuck or something still though and randomly scans when stopped on an active channel but most of the buttons are working again.

Edit: and now it's back to how it was before. I was trying to get it unstuck again and made it stuck again I guess.

Last edited:

TSFoley

Here is something I found that may be of interest:

Just a shout out regarding that video. Thanks for posting it! I bought a Pro-146 back around 1990-91 and paid a lot of money for it back then. IIRC, it was around $400! I've used it on & off for the last 30 years and it served me very well up until recently when I wasn't able to utilize the 'scan' & 'manual' button as well as a couple of the very critical buttons essentially rendering the unit useless. I figured "it's finally done after all these years!" and bought a new Uniden BC125AT but the whole process led me back into radios and scanner. I decided to start hammering away at studying to get my Technicians License next month and stumbled on this site and catching this very post.

I'm stoked that I can repair my keypad on the old faithful Pro-146 and I ordered the magic goop off of Amazon. I had taken it apart last week and diagnosed the contact issue and was contemplating a DIY fix. This solves it! FYI, it's $11 w/Prime.

Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.