Pro-106: Pro 106 buttons not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

greggk

Premium Subscriber
There are always these repair guys who you pay to fix your scanner. Its not free, but it would depend on how much you really want and use the scanner I guess.

bob550

Premium Subscriber
I fixed it, I think. The down button seemed to be stuck. It seems to be halfway stuck or something still though and randomly scans when stopped on an active channel but most of the buttons are working again.

Edit: and now it's back to how it was before. I was trying to get it unstuck again and made it stuck again I guess.
Try dampening a Q-Tip in isopropyl alcohol and tracing the outline of the affected key. May as well do the others as well. Do this several times for each key. There may be skin oil deposits or spillage of some kind that are affecting the key.

GeneseeCoMI

Software and a programming cable is like a SPARE TIRE for your care. You have a spare tire correct?

This is obviously a hardware issue not software.

Also why replace the whole tire when it's just was easier and cheaper to put a plug in the hole? I've had my car for 10 years (and it was 15 years old when I bought it) and the spare is as good as new.

IMO it's also way easier (and free) to program by hand, no computer or cable required, just a little light reading of the user's manual.

Last edited:

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
So you say it is not smart to have backup programming for your scanners? The scanner in question still functions and meets the needs of the OP. Not all users can program the systems by hand or have the time to do it by hand when it only takes 2 minutes to do it by PC.

greggk

Premium Subscriber
Are we still on the Pro 106? I have An Uniden 436 and 536, as well as An Uniden 246T. Yet, my Pro 106 is still very active in my collection. A few years back I bought the Program to install everything on my Pro 106. It took a few tries to figure it all out, but when I did it was a breeze of Fresh Air. The Pro 106 still has limitations against the very new scanners, but it does pick up a lot of fun stuff, and it's to much to describe here. I'm using BUTEL software, and I believe they give you a ,trial period. If you can figure out the Uniden software then you will pick this up easy enough. And, I just realized this post of mine is not relevant to the chat here. Sorry. But read it anyhow..lol. Greg

GeneseeCoMI

So you say it is not smart to have backup programming for your scanners? The scanner in question still functions and meets the needs of the OP. Not all users can program the systems by hand or have the time to do it by hand when it only takes 2 minutes to do it by PC.

Yeah it's a good idea to back things up if you prefer not to program by hand. I used to use software but then my cable somehow got fried and I never bothered to replace it. It's just easier to program by hand if you ask me. You can do it from anywhere and no computer or cable are needed.

kc4jgc

Yeah it's a good idea to back things up if you prefer not to program by hand. I used to use software but then my cable somehow got fried and I never bothered to replace it. It's just easier to program by hand if you ask me. You can do it from anywhere and no computer or cable are needed.
I agree. Previous scanners I could program on the fly, like my old Pro-95. With my '106, I tried programming manually but it turned out to be an abysmal failure. Kudos to you sir! I don't have enough Excedrin to try manually programming these modern scanners any more!

K9DAK

Premium Subscriber
Are we still on the Pro 106? I have An Uniden 436 and 536, as well as An Uniden 246T. Yet, my Pro 106 is still very active in my collection. A few years back I bought the Program to install everything on my Pro 106. It took a few tries to figure it all out, but when I did it was a breeze of Fresh Air. The Pro 106 still has limitations against the very new scanners, but it does pick up a lot of fun stuff, and it's to much to describe here. I'm using BUTEL software, and I believe they give you a ,trial period. If you can figure out the Uniden software then you will pick this up easy enough. And, I just realized this post of mine is not relevant to the chat here. Sorry. But read it anyhow..lol. Greg

Hey Greg... welcome back! Haven't seen you on here in a while... and I see you moved from Palatine!

moonbounce

I have a Realistic Pro 2006 that had an unresponsive key pad. I was already to pitch it when I found a bottle of Isopropyl Alchohol in the closet so I decided as a last ditch effort that I would see if it would free up the keys. I took the radio apart, dipped a Q Tip in the alchohol and wiped down the contacts on the circuit board and then cleaned the contacts on the keyboard put the radio back together and everything but the manual button worked perfectly. I took the radio apart and cleaned the manual button contacts. Now the radio keypad works perfectly, so before you go buying anything like new keypads or circuit board panels try using some of the Isopropyl Alchohol.

MB

Status
Not open for further replies.