PRO 106 charger/adapter

Status
Not open for further replies.

sfd901

I have tried just about every available RS charger/ac adapter to charge the rechargeable batteries in my scanner. I have also tried various different pin configurations and no luck. Yes I do have the yellow battery adapter installed. What adapter will work. Also will the ac adapter work if attached to scanner without batteries installed?

KC5EIB

Feed Provider
Enercell™ 9VDC/1500mA International AC Adapter Catalog #: 273-356 with the "B" or C"C tip plugged in as "+" tip

OR

Enercell™ 9VDC/ 800mA AC Adapter Catalog #: 273-355 with the "B" or C"C tip plugged in as "+" tip

Yes, the radio will work on AC adapter with out batteries in radio. Charge time in radio is 8 to 10 hours.

twindad99

Feed Provider
Also be sure you are using the yellow battery holder. This has three contacts. The black one only has two and will not provide power to charge the batteries, only draw it to run the radio.

brumey

CFO (Chief Fix-It Officer)
I'd personally recommend two or more sets of AA cells and an external charger. I just don't like charging in the radio. The slight risk of bad cells messing up the radio, additional heat while charging, etc.

Kevin

Make sure you have the settings in the scanner set to allow battery charging. There is a menu item in the settings that allows you to specify the type of batteries in the scanner. Mine came out of the box with the battery type set as: "Alkaline". I needed to change this to allow the scanner to charge the batteries.

RickS31

I have tried just about every available RS charger/ac adapter to charge the rechargeable batteries in my scanner. I have also tried various different pin configurations and no luck. Yes I do have the yellow battery adapter installed. What adapter will work. Also will the ac adapter work if attached to scanner without batteries installed?

Since I have done a great deal of experimentation and research with the 106/500 scanner and battery charging as well as had a near fire experience with their improper charging circuits, Ill attempt to answer all your questions on this unit.

First, it is not recommended by myself and most other users of this scanner to charge in the scanner. This unit has almost no smart charging capabilities and will just as easily overcharge your batteries as not.

That said, a quick way to tell if your AC adapter is doing the job is to remove the battery holder and power up with just the adapter. If it is a 9 Volt adapter with enough current capability, 500 ma or so, the scanner should work just fine.

When the scanner is powered "ON" and has rechargeable batteries in the yellow holder, the following settings in the scanner menu control the charging on-off circuit:

1. Charge time is set to some value 1-16 hours. Note, if you power the scanner off and back on with the charge time set to 0 the circuit will not use the timer and just charge as long as it's turned on (and more).

2. The battery type is set to either NiCd or NiMh battery type. Setting to Alkaline disables the charge circuit. Theres another caveat here I'll cover later.

3. AC adapter working and plugged into the scanner.

OK, that's the operation of the scanner for charging with power on. At best, the unit will take about 10-12 hours to nearly charge a depleted NiMh, 2000 maH set of batteries.

NOW, all the gotchas.

This unit has NO safety circuits for limiting time (except the timer) so it will happily overcharge the hell out of your batteries till self destruct. It has no smart current limiting for the batteries so again, it will happily jam this current into a depleted battery as well as one with shorted cells turniing your scanner into a space heater except its plastic turns into jelly or worse and the batteries can explode. Happened to me!
Last major gotcha - ALL safety circuits (limited or not) go away when the scanner is turned off with the AC adapter plugged in. Timer, battery type, nada. The scanner will deliver full charge current constantly when turned off. Hopefully, you have smoke detectors and extra money to buy another scanner.

Strong recommendation is buy a good external recharger and a couple of sets of quality rechargeable batteries keeping one charged and at the ready. Put the rechageables in the Black holder to prevent accidental or unintentional overcharge so you don't have to remember whether you pulled the adapter out or not when you left for work this morning.

With a good external charger both your batteries and scanner will last for a much longer time.

I think I'll follow the advice of RickS31. I suppose I was just assuming that a scanner of this price would have a decent, and safe charging system in it. I have always liked the GRE scanners, but in this case I would rather play it safe with the charging situation. I'll buy the Duracell charging system I saw at Walmart for $16.97, because I don't like Eveready Energizer batteries at all. (ruined too many things with them eventually leaking). I do think the 106 is an excellent scanner.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Not to hijack the thread here but a question related to this in a way... I purchased a cig lighter plug charger with the proper (supposedly) tip from RS for this. However, when I connect it in the vehicle the scanner will not power on when plugged in. What am i missing here?

I mainly got it so that if I am out and about and run the batteries down I can connect it this way until I get home to a fresh set of batteries or the home charger.

Yes, it is set to charge with batteries in the scanner if I connect it to the wall charger. And it will power on and operate fine connected to the home charger, just the vehicle charger that it isn't working with.

Thanks...

KC5EIB

Feed Provider
Not to hijack the thread here but a question related to this in a way... I purchased a cig lighter plug charger with the proper (supposedly) tip from RS for this. However, when I connect it in the vehicle the scanner will not power on when plugged in. What am i missing here?

I mainly got it so that if I am out and about and run the batteries down I can connect it this way until I get home to a fresh set of batteries or the home charger.

Yes, it is set to charge with batteries in the scanner if I connect it to the wall charger. And it will power on and operate fine connected to the home charger, just the vehicle charger that it isn't working with.

Thanks...

Make sure the "+" symbol on the tip aligns with the word "TIP" on the cable

RickS31

Thanks...

If the Cig. adapter is truly a 9 Volt DC regulated output adapter and you have the proper DC plug on it with + set to the center jack connector, it should work (assuming the adapter will handle about 500 ma). You should check the output of it with an inexpensive multimeter to see if it is indeed working, measuring between the center of the plug and the outside metal barrel.

Another thing to check is that your vehicle DC cig jack is also working. Most newer vehicles shut that accessory plug off when the vehicle is off or in Accessory and only power it up when the key is turned on and/or the vehicle is running.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
If the Cig. adapter is truly a 9 Volt DC regulated output adapter and you have the proper DC plug on it with + set to the center jack connector, it should work (assuming the adapter will handle about 500 ma). You should check the output of it with an inexpensive multimeter to see if it is indeed working, measuring between the center of the plug and the outside metal barrel.

Another thing to check is that your vehicle DC cig jack is also working. Most newer vehicles shut that accessory plug off when the vehicle is off or in Accessory and only power it up when the key is turned on and/or the vehicle is running.

Make sure the "+" symbol on the tip aligns with the word "TIP" on the cable

The 'end' of the cord was put on backwards - I flipped it around now. That was one of those "you idiot" moments. Oh well...thank you both!

Status
Not open for further replies.