Pro-106 Charger Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

justinspolicecollect

Premium Subscriber
Hello,

I recently bought my mom a scanner off of eBay so she can listen to what is going on in the city and also listen to me when I am out on patrol (I work as a reserve police officer for a city here.)

Anyway, her batteries were dying and even though I told her specifically to use the specific charger, she found the first one that fit and put it in. She had some weird noise come across and now she is only getting the "Waiting For DSP".

I have tried all of the "0" tricks and reverted everything back to factory and that did not resolve it. I have tried upgrading the DSP, but it wont read the scanner on my computer. I tried plugging in my scanner, same model, having that be read, and trying the upgrade that way (I get the "updating" message on the broken scanner, but the DSP upgrade does not stick.)

My question is, is this scanner now a brick and can never be used again or is there a trick I do not know about to get the DSP upgrade to stick? We got this for a deal, IMO, since it was missing the battery cover.

Any help, suggestions, or advice would be greatly appreciated... I know you cannot buy the main boards for these things anymore as parts are no where to be found.

Thanks,

Justin

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Pro 106

It is quite possible the DSP chip is fried. Check your manual for information on the built in checks on the radio and try running the latest DSP check and update. I have a Pro 96 that had a similar fate due to another user, and the DSP was damaged.

SCPD

QRT
I'm not following what you mean by your statement for a charger & your mom put it in. Are you talking about a DC charger that she hooked to the radio ? The Pro 106 takes a 6v DC . You stated your mom put it in, did she put something in the radio where the battery's go ?

justinspolicecollect

Premium Subscriber
Sorry...it was early this morning and I was beyond tired. I am referring to the DC charger. She just found a random charger that "she thought" was for it, when in turn it was not. No idea what one she used, but she did say it was a higher "ma" then the one I have, but volts were the same.

N8IAA

So I just talked to my mom and apparently she plugged it into the PC/IF jack. Could this fry the DSP?

Justin

OK, the PC/IF jack takes a stereo plug. The AC adapter plug is a RS 'B' or 'C' plug that attaches to the AC adapter with + TIP on the left side of the scanner.
If the adapter she bought had a stereo/mono tip, it is very possible you put voltage to the PCB board.
Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.