Pro-106 DC hum when plugged into pc

Status
Not open for further replies.

KC9WWJ

Technician
I was just wondering what methods people use to eliminate the ground loop/hum issue when your scanner is plugged into your PC? I am interested in becoming a stream provider, but cant get past this issue... Ive tried a ground loop isolator, but am now out of ideas... any helpful hints/tips???

Last edited:

KC9WWJ

Technician
yes it still does it on battery only, and this is the second computer ive tried it on, and a different power supply. (before i was using one of those rat shack enercell adapters) I bought the actual adapter for it, didnt eliminate it, bought the ground loop isolator, didnt eliminate it.. :/

kenabos

Premium Subscriber
I was just wondering what methods people use to eliminate the ground loop/hum issue when your scanner is plugged into your PC? I am interested in becoming a stream provider, but cant get past this issue... Ive tried a ground loop isolator, but am now out of ideas... any helpful hints/tips???

I know you said you have tried 2 pc's now but I still have to question your computer or cable.
I dont provide a feed but my pro106 connected to my computer is dead silent when not receiving.
This is a feed provider with listening to the same thing I do and he is also using a 106
Butler County Area Sheriff, Police, EMS, and EMA Live Scanner Audio Feed

I was just wondering what methods people use to eliminate the ground loop/hum issue when your scanner is plugged into your PC??

Jarhead,
I don’t run a feed here, but allow me to make some suggestions.

1st, being in the telephone business, when a customer asks me, “Why is it humming?”, I tell them that it’s simply because it doesn’t know the words. Now, on to your own hum.

Are you going from scanner to “Line In” – not MIC on the sound card?

Try another audio source, like an IPod or other isolated audio device.

A hum can also result from an impedance mismatch. An Isolation Transformer will help.
Radio Shack Part # 273-1374 or Part # 270-054

Also, look here:
http://forums.radioreference.com/live-audio-feed-administration/215767-humming-my-feed-2.html

And in case you get any crazy ideas, I have already written and copyrighted a new Country Song; "Humming On My Feed".

mmmm I mmmm Hope mmmm This mmm Helps.

KC9WWJ

Technician
sorry it took so long to get back to you on this. i havent had much time to play with it between both jobs lately. but, i have been using the line in port, and i read that thread you linked to, and found out its probably because im using a stereo cord. all i have are stereo cords, so it looks like ill be making a trip to rat shack to either get a cable, or the ends to make one. whichever ones cheapest.i will post back with my results, hopefully sooner than later. thanks for the help thus far

W1IAR

Feed Provider
AC hum

I was plagued with hum too when scanner (PRO-2055) headphone output was plugged into mic input on PC. Went to the Shack and got one of the suggested ground loop eliminators. Happened to spot an "attenuating dubbing cable", 42-2152, on clearance for 99 cents. Got one of them too. Works like a charm, going from speaker out to mic in. Returned the ground loop eliminator.

Status
Not open for further replies.