Pro-106 Discriminator Tap / DSD+

Status
Not open for further replies.

AE4VE

I'm still learning about the DSD+ and from what I understand, in order to get my Pro-106 to work with the DSD+ software, I will need to tap my scanner.
Also, I have read that once my scanner is "Tapped", I will be able to use the DSD+ software to pick up Peach County's NXDN system.
Does anyone know if this is correct?

If so, I would be very interested in being able to pick up Peach County's NXDN system.. So, is there anyone here in the middle Georgia area that has the skill and experience to "Tap" my Radio Shack Pro-106 scanner?

Another question I have is: Does the DSD+ software require an Internet connection to work? Or will anything about this setup keep me from being able to mount my netbook in the car and scan while mobile?

I apologize for the newbie questions, as I'm still learning about this software and how it works, but I wasn't able to find any info on this or confirm what I've read. So, any input will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, in advance.

AE4VE

I posted this in the Georgia section because I need to find someone who can "tap" my scanner.
Or should I have posted this under the Radio Shack scanners section?

wbswetnam

I posted this in the Georgia section because I need to find someone who can "tap" my scanner.
Or should I have posted this under the Radio Shack scanners section?

Welcome to the forum. I don't normally "hang out" in the Georgia forum, but I happened to see your post.

I've been using discriminator-tapped scanners and DSD+ to decode non-P25 signals for about two years now. I have successfully tapped two scanners (a Radio Shack Pro-96 handheld and a Radio Shack Pro-405 desktop), both of which are very easy to accomplish. I've never tried a Pro-106, though. If you don't think that you have the skills, then I'd recommend that you find someone who is skilled at electronics work and soldering. A local amateur radio operator may know somebody.

Does DSD+ need an internet connection? No. I have used a tapped RS Pro-96 with both a laptop computer and (later) a Windows tablet computer. Both worked well for running the DSD+ software. The only tricky part is that laptops and tablets tend to have a combination microphone / headset jack, so you will most likely need a "Y" splitter to separate those two functions.

There are lots of people (like me) who are very happy to help newbies. Like you, we were all newbies at one time. Don't be afraid to keep asking questions!

wbswetnam

From looking at the data for Peach County, Georgia it appears that someone has already monitored the Fort Valley and Byron police departments, because someone has posted tone data for those NXDN systems. There is no mention of it being encrypted, so that's a good sign.

AE4VE

Thanks mbswetnam!
I'm not sure about the microphone/headset jack so I'll definitely have to look into it.
I'm not completely new to the forum.. I've been a member for a little over 2 years now but I'm definitely still a newbie. Lol. But, then again, there's so much to learn about the radio world that I'll probably always be a newbie in some aspect or another.
Thanks for the info though! The software not requiring an Internet connection is definitely a plus in my book as I like to keep my scanner handy wherever I go and as long as the software is compatible with my netbook and scanner and as long as I can find someone to "tap" my Pro-106, I'll be good.
I've done a little work with soldering and electronics but I'm not confident enough with the risk of turning my scanner into a paperweight..lol.

N8IAA

Thanks mbswetnam!
I'm not sure about the microphone/headset jack so I'll definitely have to look into it.
I'm not completely new to the forum.. I've been a member for a little over 2 years now but I'm definitely still a newbie. Lol. But, then again, there's so much to learn about the radio world that I'll probably always be a newbie in some aspect or another.
Thanks for the info though! The software not requiring an Internet connection is definitely a plus in my book as I like to keep my scanner handy wherever I go and as long as the software is compatible with my netbook and scanner and as long as I can find someone to "tap" my Pro-106, I'll be good.
I've done a little work with soldering and electronics but I'm not confident enough with the risk of turning my scanner into a paperweight..lol.

Why not do a SDR dongle to the PC? All kinds of software to monitor the newer digital modes. Saves you from bricking your radio.
Larry

AE4VE

@ N8IAA

I was under the impression that in order to be able to pick up Peach County's NXDN system, i would need a scanner with a discriminator tap to go along with the SDR dongle and PC.
Is that not correct?
Will an SDR dongle and PC only, with the appropriate software, be able to pick that up?

My only reason for wanting to tap my scanner is to be able to pick up Peach County's NXDN system.
My scanner picks up everything else that I want to scan..

Last edited:

N8IAA

@ N8IAA

I was under the impression that in order to be able to pick up Peach County's NXDN system, i would need a scanner with a discriminator tap to go along with the SDR dongle and PC.
Is that not correct?
Will an SDR dongle and PC only, with the appropriate software, be able to pick that up?

My only reason for wanting to tap my scanner is to be able to pick up Peach County's NXDN system.
My scanner picks up everything else that I want to scan..

Tapping the scanner would mean you don't need a SDR dongle. If you use a dongle, you just need to connect to a PC using something like DSD+. You will need two dongles to monitor a trunk system though.
Why mess with a scanner that does what you want? If you're out $20 for two dongles, it won't hurt so bad:lol: Especially if the system is encrypted.
Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.