PRO-106 Error?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kc8wtn

I purchased a PRO-106 on eBay. The radio turns on but after the welcome screen, it goes to "Waiting for DSP."

I have done all of the "0" + tests.
I have also upgraded the CPU to 1.9 (which worked fine)
But the DSP upgrade to 1.4 would not take. It errors out in the testing step with a message about incomplete response from scanner.

Any thoughts or suggestions? I have a day or two to return it if it is fried.

I have the older model USB cable that I used successfully in Windows XP to update the CPU.

Highpockets

I purchased a PRO-106 on eBay. The radio turns on but after the welcome screen, it goes to "Waiting for DSP."

But the DSP upgrade to 1.4 would not take. It errors out in the testing step with a message about incomplete response from scanner.

I have the older model USB cable that I used successfully in Windows XP to update the CPU.

Read the directions that shows on the screen when running the program (upgrades), each has different instructions. I'm sure you did that, but, to mention it again you may double check.

kc8wtn

Yes it's worth the reminder - I did it a couple of times since the DSP upgrade is different form the CPU. It seems odd that the scanner can talk to the computer to do the CPU not the DSP? I would think if it were fried it would mean both would fail... ?4

But thanks!!!

ka2wey

Pro-106 DSP error

I serviced Pro-106 scanners and DSP error means something is wrong with the digital signal processor
programming or the DSP ic is defective. You should try to reload the DSP firmware by doing the DSP 1.4
upgrade. If the scanner does not accept the DSP upgrade firmware then you will need to replace the logic
pc board which unfortunately is $240.

kc8wtn

Thanks for the information. I came to a similar conclusion on my own and the seller issued a refund. Bought another one that is functioning perfectly.

Michael-SATX

I have a friend's Pro-106 that has the error "Waiting for DPS" new right out of the box !
It was never even been touched, configured or loaded up with freqs since made in China, so a DOA.
I tried all steps in all threads I can find in gQQgle that mostly point hear to RR threads, nothing helps.
I have seen this only once before but I think it got ultimately exchanged at another Radio Shack, etc.
Also, I was able to do both the CPU upgrade V2.0 and the DSP V1.4 and even upon boot up
pressed the light key which brings the Pro-106 to the Global Menu, then only at that stage was
I was able to clone from my own Pro-106, however, It would not let me load it from PC with WIN500 method.
I'm thinking bad DSP IC/logic board and this scanner needs to be sent in to RS for repair/board replacement ?

Bottom~Line: has anyone here found an end-user fix or did they have to send theirs in to repair ?

Last edited:

ka2wey

Pro-106 DSP error

The waiting for DSP error message that stays on means that the digital signal processor circuitry is
malfunctioning. This can be due a problem in the DSP firmware in which case the DSP firmware can be
reprogrammed by doing a DSP Version 1.4 upgrade. Follow the DSP upgrade instructions carefully as
the programming procedures are different then a CPU firmware upgrade. Since it appears that the scanner
did accept the DSP upgrade but is still giving the "waiting for DSP" error message, something is bad in
the DSP circuitry. The logic pc board then would need to be replaced. Hopefully you have your receipt and the scanner is still within the one year warranty period so you can take your scanner back to the Radio
Shack store for warranty service at their Ft. Worth service center. The logic pc board is $240 out of warranty
plus the $49 labor to replace it.

Michael-SATX

How I tricked the DSP update utility into upgrading !

I just had the same problem, with the "Waiting for DSP" ... the CPU upgrade went fine, not the DSP etc.
So I tricked the DSP update in the checking the COM Port test that talks to the scanner before hand
by letting the DSP upgrader utility talk to a perfectly good Pro-106 and getting the green light first.
Then switched the PC/IF cable plug over to the bad Pro-106 scanner and only then clicked "Upgrade"
and this is how I tricked the DSP update utility into completing the update which then yielded v1.4 perfect.
So even with DSP v1.4 the DSP logic was still bad so I am sending it in for repair to swap the logic board.
But at least this way I know that I have done everything I can do on my end to solve the DSP chip failure.

Last edited:

Michael-SATX

Update: Replaced PCB Logic Board to solve "Waiting for DSP" error !

Update: Replaced PCB Logic Board to solve "Waiting for DSP" error !

The Good News: This Pro-106 is now fixed and working GREat ;)

The Bad News: It was not cheap but this inventory had to be fixed !

In Other News, it lQQks like I got the last PCB Logic Board left,
as the RSU Part the next day now shows the status as "Not In Stock" .....
Pro-106 RSU Part # 12469003 PCB ASSY LOGIC $226.13 "Not In Stock"

ps~I would hate to be the next guy in line to have their PCB Logic Board replaced :(

btw ~ I can see a market down the road for people selling scanner salvage parts on eBay !
An easy sale would be the 4xAA Yellow Battery trays ~ $20+ would be easy to fetch.

techer

is there a link to the radioshack website to get the newest software for the cpu and dsp for RS 106 scanner. I was at there site and there is no download I can see accept for to the Pro-96

Status
Not open for further replies.