Pro-106 Full Bars But Bad Reception

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nate1n22

Premium Subscriber
I recently got a used Radio Shack Pro-106 scanner and I've been having problems with the reception. I am using this antenna: Center-Loaded Telescoping Whip Antenna : Telescoping Antennas | RadioShack.com

I get full signal bars but either it has static or there is a buzzing/humming noise in the background.

Similar channels on my Pro-197 sound just fine, and it's sitting right next to it.

Any suggestions?

HopperD

Premium Subscriber
Never heard of this problem before. Kind of sounds like you got a defective radio. If it never worked properly since you bought it, that may be the case.

My only recommendation is to do a factory reset and plug in the channels again. Hopefully you have software that will make it easier to reprogram.

SCPD

QRT
106 Antenna

Try changing your Antenna to the 800mhz BNC that is what I use for my 106 & it works great. Your Scanner is the 106 hand held ?

Last edited:

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
What sort of reception do you get on the Pro-197 if you put the telescoping whip antenna on it?

KC1UA

Scan New England Janitor/Maintenance
Database Admin
You don't mention what band this is occurring in. I wonder if it's VHF-HI. GRE scanners for years and through many models have had notorious overload problems in that range. The "fix" is to use the attenuator. Give that a try and see if it actually improves things. Usually it's a problem that occurs when connected to an external antenna, but anything is possible.

Nate1n22

Premium Subscriber
I turned on the "ATT" on the scanner and it seemed to help a little. There's still a buzzing in the background. I've also noticed that it doesn't pick up some frequencies that the 197 did.

Status
Not open for further replies.