Pro 106 help

Status
Not open for further replies.

skunkhaze

Premium Subscriber
Hi everybody, i recently bought a pro 106 im used to my uniden 996t's and my 246t's but needed a handheld scanner. I've been able to figure out somewhat how to program the scanner within a day and i will tell you it is alot more difficult than Unidens thats for sure lol.

But my question is i'm programing a P25 system with talkgroups into my scanner and it says its a P25 CAI on a 800/900 MOT but if i import the data from the RR database and load it up it works, i can hear activity on channels etc full signal. I've read that for a P25 system you want to switch the type to " Auto" by doing this i noticed now that it sits on a channel with no voice decoding ? But i listen to a conventional channel non talk group using my scanner it will automatically display " P25" on the control channel so i'm somewhat rather confused as to why people would suggest to set the P25 auto mode? i do this on my 996T and it will help decode it

here is the system :

System Name: San Diego, County of (RCS - Public Safety)
County: 2 counties
System Type: Motorola Type II SmartZone
System Voice: Analog and APCO-25 Common Air Interface

I know that the Police all the agencies use P25 b/c im not able to pick them up and decode them on a 246t w/o digital p25 decoding..

Last edited:

ibagli

P25 Auto isn't the correct setting for that system, so you're right to be skeptical (the proper setting is MOT 800/900). P25 Auto is for P25 trunked systems only that send out bandplan information. Other applications of P25 voice (such as the Type II system and the conventional channels in your area) wouldn't make use of that.

KT4HX

Premium Subscriber
I believe in this case, because the system you are trying to monitor is a mixture of P25/Analog, you would want to leave the mode type setting as MOT 800/900 as it downloads from RR. I did a test download and that is how it shows up in WIN500 for me. P25 Auto or Manual (to my knowledge) applies only to pure P25 systems. However, if I am incorrect in my thinking, I am sure someone will correct me. I leave the type setting what it says in WIN500 when I download a system. The only local system (to me) that I have as P25 Auto is for the Virginia STARS network. The other county digital systems in my area that I have loaded are MOT 800/900.

Anyway, have you read through this easier to read scanner manual for the Pro-106?

Easier to Read Pro-106/197/PSR500/600 Digital Scanner Manual

In that manual, the description for that setting is:

P25 MANUAL - for Project 25 systems where it is necessary to manually set the channel table information or if you wish to use the default 800 MHz table data.
P25 AUTO
- for most Project 25 systems that send channel table information over the system control channel.

Anyway, hope the above helps.

skunkhaze

Premium Subscriber
P25 Auto isn't the correct setting for that system, so you're right to be skeptical (the proper setting is MOT 800/900). P25 Auto is for P25 trunked systems only that send out bandplan information. Other applications of P25 voice (such as the Type II system and the conventional channels in your area) wouldn't make use of that.

Are you suggesting that my system uses a semi P25 system mixed in with analog? But that P25 CAI would need a receiver with a Digital voice decoder

ibagli

Are you suggesting that my system uses a semi P25 system mixed in with analog? But that P25 CAI would need a receiver with a Digital voice decoder

Based on the info you posted, it does appear to mix analog in, but the reason "P25 Auto" is incorrect is that it's a Type II system that makes use of digital voice on at least some talkgroups, not a P25 system.

you should set it to p25 manual which is the second setting for the p25 setup for trunking

That would not work. It is not a "true" P25 system with a 9600 baud control channel.

Status
Not open for further replies.