PRO-106 Intermittent Reception Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewSDScanner

So I've had some issues with my PRO-106 off-and-on for the past few months. I bought it used and I've moved it around a lot so that may have something to do with it. However, I'm trying to get to the bottom of this. Here's the deal:

First of all, my current setup has my PRO-106 sitting in my car in an open compartment that is the perfect size for it. It is hooked up to a DPD Productions 800Mhz external mag-mount scanner antenna. The antenna has 5/8 wave over 5/8 wave over 1/4 wave elements which produce 5dBd of gain. The amount of gain is very noticeable from going from the 800Mhz radio shack antenna to the DPD antenna; the signal is much louder.

The issue is that I am getting strange intermittent reception that is confusing me as to what the problem is. I also own a GRE PSR-500 which I bought NEW and it also has a lot less hours on it. Therefore, I have a second digital trunking scanner to compare to. The PSR-500 will be receiving just fine while the PRO-106 will not be getting the signal. I did some significant research on this site a few months back and I figured that it must be the BNC connector because the scanner works fine other than the signal reception problem, which happens with all antennas I put on it.

But then I used a sewing needle and tried to bend the two prongs inward on the BNC jack on the scanner itself (NOT the antenna side) and the scanner started receiving well again at all times. At this point, I didn't want to mess with it anymore so I left it as still as possible in my car and used it many many times since with no problem. The other day though, I had to move it for a second. The next time I turned the scanner on, it would hardly receive anything at all. Tonight, I was driving to a restaurant and wanted to listen and I barely heard anything. I have it programmed to a digital Motorola 800/900 SmartZone II system (SAN DIEGO RCS) which has an extremely strong signal in my area, I've almost never been in a low-signal spot. So, I was like oh shoot, I guess I won't be able to listen until I mess with the prongs again. Well, half way to my destination, I heard a full, clear dispatch call from my city's police department, but then it went silent again. Reception was intermittent.

So now I'm lost... Could it be the pins or connector or not? I did not touch the radio at all and it went from not receiving to receiving and back to not receiving a few times. From what I am saying, it may sound like it's a mobile issue but I assure you that it's not. My other scanner NEVER does this no matter where I am around here and neither do the public safety vehicles that are on this system. And I know that it's not just no activity because my scanner's screen loses the little "T" icon (talksystem) and the signal bars go way down.

What on earth could this be? Could it be the connector and the vibrations are causing it to temporarily receive and then go back to poor reception again? I was thinking it could be the antenna but when I hooked the radio shack 800Mhz rubber duck back up to it, the problem persisted. I'm lost.

Last edited:

DickH

... I was thinking it could be the antenna but when I hooked the radio shack 800Mhz rubber duck back up to it, the problem persisted. I'm lost.

Sounds like a defective BNC connector or the connection from the BNC to the circuit board.
Open the scanner, then put it on manual and tune to a control channel to have a steady signal. Then with a non-metallic tool, probe around and you may find the problem.

W2PMX

It could be the connector itself, or it could be an intermittent connection to the PC board. Or it could be overload. Next time it "goes deaf", try turning the attenuator on. If that helps, the scanner is being overloaded by a signal that's too strong for it. (5db gain increases the signal strength almost 4 times. If you're in a metro area, and the nearest transmitter is close and fairly high power, the scanner can't handle the signal.)

Status
Not open for further replies.