Pro-106 is hung up and emitting a "beep"

Status
Not open for further replies.

PJsBuys

Premium Subscriber
My Pro-106 has been working beautifully. I turned it on yesterday and it would not function properly. The LCD display shows one frequency, it "beeps" continually, and I cannot get it to scan normally. I have tried the various remedies using the power-on configuration key sequences. I have been unable to get it to scan, program, or anything else. The LCD display does not change except when I am in the process of doing one of the power-on key sequences when a new mwssage will appear briefly, then go back to the one display that it is stuck on. I have changed locations by several miles to no avail. I have used different power supplies without effect. Can anyone tell me if there is a remedy short of taking it back to RS for repairs? Thank you for any suggestions. Paul

nanZor

Just checking - those power supplies are 9 volts, DC regulated right? How does it work on batteries?

Simple question, but when you have many gadgets with differing voltages, it is easy to inadvertently swap them...

PJsBuys

Premium Subscriber
Pro-106 hung up

There does not appear to be a stuck button. In hopes of getting the radio going again I have pused all of the buttons several times and in different orders. Thanks for trying.

StinkyB

Don't feel bad, I dropped my 106 on the pavement last night, and broke the belt clip, so far that is what I can find wrong.

OldDeadOne

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
If you can't get it going you may have to send it in for repairs,did you do a hard reset like was suggested?

PJsBuys

Premium Subscriber
Pro-106 is hung

Yes I did. I tried all the moves suggested in the user's guide including an attempt to initialize the scanner to factory defaults. The radio does not respond to keystrokes at all. No, the keyboard is not locked. I brought it to a radio shack store which has a manager who does know something about some scanners. He was unable to suggest a solution.

Thanks for trying to help.

Paul

PJsBuys

Premium Subscriber
Pro-106

No. I bought it two years ago, in Sept 2009. Most of my previous scanners have lasted 9 or 10 years, but not this one which was the best of the lot in terms of what it can do. Thanks for trying.

Paul

al95

There might be a key on the keyboard stuck. This happen to me one last month. I moved the keys side to side pushing it up and down until it work fine again and never had this problem again.

As some have mentioned it may be the keyboard that is stuck. Just a curious question what kind of beep sound is it making? Does sound like annoying beep that is telling your batteries are dying probably?

Do you have fresh batteries in it? etc...

PJsBuys

Premium Subscriber
Pro-106 hung up

New batteries or a/c adapter make no difference (tried that). The radio does not respond to the keyboard. It locks onto one frequency, always the same one, and I can't budge it. Thanks for trying.

Paul

GrayJeep

Premium Subscriber
This might be a long shot but-

Stuck on one frequency (but not beeping for any radios I've done this to) is a symptom of having programmed a conventional (or trunked?) frequency that the radio can't do.

I've hit this when programming using WinXX. The program will let you type in any numbers you want but the radio can only do certain step sizes. When programming the same frequency manually the radio will round to a frequency it is capable of doing and will then be ok.

Oh- and the frequency displayed when stuck is NOT the problem one. It's the NEXT one in the sequence that you loaded into it that it can't do.

Again, a long shot.

RickS31

Sounds pretty much like a hosed CPU. Repair is possible but probably won't be cheap. You can only get it repaired through R/S.

Status
Not open for further replies.