Pro-106 - Is this what encryption sounds like?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chaddiesel

I have a Radio Shack Pro-106 that I use to listen to the local PD (Project SAFE-T, P25). Very rarely, I hear a scrambled sound come over the scanner. Didn't think much of it until I was listening to an operation yesterday that involved the SWAT team. I could hear the regular city police, but it would be mixed in with this scrambled sound. I looked up some clips on YouTube that sounded similar, and the comments were mixed with, "yes it's encryption", "no it's not encryption" and "no it's not encryption, it's technically something else". Just curious. I posted a short clip on YouTube:

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

-Chad

chaddiesel

Thank you. I appreciate it. I hear this sound so rarely, I never thought much about it assuming it was just a reception problem. With the city police mentioning SWAT being involved yesterday, I thought maybe they were using encryption, since I could hear other transmissions clearly.

Thanks for the help.

-Chad

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
I hear this sound so rarely, I never thought much about it assuming it was just a reception problem.
What agency is that on? If there is no mention of encryption in the database, you can make a database submission indicating partial enc is being used on the freq or talk group.

CycleSycho

:) My scanner (maybe a part of the operation of the local systems), is a 'busy signal' comes across the radio clear as a bell, during these encrypted portions, the capital 'E' is displayed. Every time... :)

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator

:) My scanner (maybe a part of the operation of the local systems), is a 'busy signal' comes across the radio clear as a bell, during these encrypted portions, the capital 'E' is displayed. Every time... :)

The Pro-106 doesn't have that feature.

tvengr

Well Known Member
Using PSR-800 EZ Scan and PRO-668 iScan software, you can set the encrypted audio to Audio Tone, Silence, or Digital Noise under the Advanced Features tab. Using Whistler EZ Scan, it is under the Advanced Features and Audio Options tabs.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
Using PSR-800 EZ Scan and PRO-668 iScan software, you can set the encrypted audio to Audio Tone, Silence, or Digital Noise under the Advanced Features tab. Using Whistler EZ Scan, it is under the Advanced Features and Audio Options tabs.

Unfortunately the OP has a Pro-106, so all this talk about encryption mute does him no good at all.

CycleSycho

:) That is nice to know, although I kinda like that 'busy signal', it lets me go to the radio and see what system/radio is using it. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.