Pro-106 LCD Blacklight Fading?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RadioTech19

Hello, I have had my Pro-106 since May of 2009. Its amazing and does what I want it too. I sat it beside a new scanner (same model) and it seemed as if my back light wasn't as bright as the new one? Anyone know if there is a setting that needs to be changed to make it brighter or does it just happen as it gets older? Any thoughts?

RadioTech19

dan2125

Premium Subscriber
Same problem.

Just got a second 106 about a month ago and noticed the same thing with the 106 I bought July 2009.
Took it back to RS and they sent it in for repair. I should get it back in the next few days. I am looking forward to see if they are the same now and what was the problem.

RadioTech19

Did you buy the extended warranty? I only noticed the fading when I sat it buy a brand new Pro-106. Maybe it is just part of the life cycle of the scanner? Let me know if they fixed the prolbem. Idk if I can go days without my scanner!!!! Lol.

N8IAA

OK, I've had my scanner since 11/2008. I've never had a problem with the backlight, other than at night when it can be too bright! So, what is the 'blacklight'?? If you are talking about the LCD contrast, that can be adjusted via the scanner, or, by software. The contrast on mine has never changed in the 16 months I've had it.
Larry

RadioTech19

No it isnt the contrast. It is the light that you push to come on when the surroundings are dark. It is indicated by the top right button on the scanner. It really isnt a huge issue, but the other day I sat my 106 buy a brand new one and my "light" was much dimmer than the new one. It got me a little concerned. Thanks for the reply.

bkantor

There is a setting in Win500 (and I assume on the radio) that dims the LED when the backlight is on. It must be the default setting because that is the way my radio was originally set up. Try changing that setting!

ibagli

That function only works with the PSR-600 and Pro-197. In Win500, it's underneath the LED colors on the "General Settings" tab.

RadioTech19

Okay, that didnt help. I am pretty sure that the prolbem is in the device. Maybe Radio Shack has made the light brighter since I have bought my scanner?

ratboy

Premium Subscriber
The backlight is like 6 LEDS, isn't it? I would doubt they would fade much at all in only a year or two, since I have things with LEDS in them that seem to be as bright as ever and they are well over 40 years old. I would guess this is more likely the LEDS used are a different batch or from another manufacturer.

If you so inclined,,grab some SMT LEDs off ebay,,get some xtra brites,,
the swap is a breeze,,
the old ones come out in a snap and as long as you gt the polarity right,,
you are good to go!
the LEDs behind the LCD have a metal shield surrounding the LCD & Diffuser
youll need to desolder the 4 contact points,then the cage comes free,LCD and
diffuser float freely so be careful,loosen the ribbon clip,slip the ribbon out,

the keypad LEDs are open and free to get to,

theres like 18 LEDs,so id get a 50 pack if its your first time,,the lil suckers
will melt during tinning if your not quick n careful..

Heat is your main enemy,1-2,maybe 3 seconds of contact should be all you need
to make the connects,,

i use a butane powered iron from RS,,20 bucks,,i also use a Bernz-0-Matic,,twas
10 bucks at home depot..just as good,,just 2 diff. designs..i prefer the RS for finer
work like this..

hope this is some help..
Cheers!

RadioTech19

My guess is that it is the model of the LEDs at the time. I'm not too excited about opening up my scanner, as I do not have enough experience with that area. Thanks Anyways! :)

dataway

The backlights on my old Pro-32 eventually faded...it still works...but it's pretty dim. Heck...it's so old it might not even be an LED, might be a conventional bulb.

Which brings up the question....what do I do with my old Pro-32? Still works.... but is so slow and primitive compared to the new 107 that I can't see ever using it again.
JohnnyB

Status
Not open for further replies.