Pro-106 Lost Memory Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

stgilmer

I have been using the pro-106 for a year now and a friend bought one. I was ask to program it with all the channels for our area. If the batteries are taken out and it is wrapped up for christmas will it lose memory and reset? I know the other handheld I had would reset and lose all channels if it set for a period of time with no power or batteries. Does the Pro-106 have a time period for that to happen?

Thanks for all advice.

The one that would lose all channels was the Pro-528.

Last edited:

shadcall

In a word, No. You won't lose your programming by taking the batteries out. The batteries are only for powering the unit. Anything programmed is held in the scanners memory. I'm sure there is a more technical answer, but I hope this answers your question.

stgilmer

Thanks, I just wanted to make sure, the pro-528 after about a week with no batteries would empty itself out. Don't know why, it would seem like there would be a small memory battery internally and it might have had one and gone bad. Thanks again, didn't want to ruin someones christmas because I didnt take the time to ask the experts here.

RickS31

Just for a bit more technical explanation the memory in the 106 and indeed most every newer scanner (in the last few years) has what is called either Flash memory or EEPROM (electronically eraseable programmable read-only memory). Different names, same memory. Once written, they will hold that memory, power or not, until electronically changed ,erased or overwritten by the CPU.

In other words as said above, it will be just fine w/o batteries with your programming staying intact.

StinkyB

Non-Volatile Memory , RickS31 is correct EEPROM, or flash memory, will stay in memory for years.

estste

as note on this older post, the 106 will eventually lose all data during a battery change , this happened to mine after years of use , it sucks , the programming was a nightmare , in turn I've bought a used home patrol 1 , hoping for a lot easier time with this scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.