PRO-106 Odd Behavior on P25

Status
Not open for further replies.

aps_ak

Premium Subscriber
Our local PD is in the slow process of switching over to a statewide Phase I P25 system, but for now is broadcasting on both conventional 460 mhz and P25 trunked. (this is the ALMR system in the State of Alaska).

In Anchorage, I am within reach of about 3-5 control channels regardless of where I am. One of the channel is simulcast. All of these channels are programmed into the system I monitor.

The gist of the problem is this: scanner doesn't want to stop on active talkgroups after sitting untouched for 10-15 seconds. For example, I turn the scanner on and hear talkgroup A being recieved just fine. The radio scans, stops on the TG a few more times, and then starts skipping over all the traffic. When I put the radio in manual mode, and go back to talkgroup A, I can hear it again. Leaving it in MAN mode for a few seconds, again, makes the radio not tune into it. Seems like each time I mess with the radio, put it in manual, tweak the settings, it starts working again. I know there is traffic on these talkgroups because I can hear conventional PD traffic on my other receiver.

As far as I know this only occurs on P25, and so far only on the Simulcast control channel. Any ideas?

My settings are:

ATT: OFF (GLOBAL MODE OFF)
MULTI-SITE: well, I've tried it all three ways. Stat/Check all C/Cs - Yes, Roam/85hi - 55lo and OFF. Not sure how much benefit this has given me.
Dwell: 0

Decode rate on the simulcast channel is 85-96% at home.

Looking for any possible suggestions...

Thanks.

N1BHH

How do you know your scanner is skipping over objects? Do you have another scanner that is hearing more than the other?

You should increase delay time on the individual objects you want to hear more than others, same with the particular trunk systems, that way you won't miss anything. Sometimes there are lulls in radio usage, so maybe you could be missing something.

I only use the attenuator when I have strong signals in the vicinity, as well, and in the aviation band, when using and antenna exposed to the elements.

aps_ak

Premium Subscriber
How do you know your scanner is skipping over objects? Do you have another scanner that is hearing more than the other?

Yes, I had a second receiver that confirmed traffic was being missed.

I only use the attenuator when I have strong signals in the vicinity, as well, and in the aviation band, when using and antenna exposed to the elements.

Also, I should mention that my 106 has been subject to intermod/overload in the past. The issue has mostly been corrected with a Radio Shack FM trap in my vehicle. (I use a mag roof mount wideband).

I played with the settings a bit more this morning, and set it to "Stat"/Check all CCs: No, with dwell of 5, and it seems to be working for now.

Maybe multipath interference has a hand in all this too.

Status
Not open for further replies.