PRO-106 On Sale Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

emscapt9816

Retired, but somehow working harder now...
Premium Subscriber
Oh well. So much for going down to "The Shack" for my new radio today. Upon re-reading the online add, I see this: "Web-only pricing - not available in stores at this price". Same disclaimer for the PRO-164 and -137. Did I just here a gunshot through a foot?...

ksphotoguy

that was a bad marketing strategy, if they had done this sale right after thanksgiving they might have sold more. I already bought the GRE 500 when it was on sale thru scannermaster. either scanner is good tho since gre makes em both

emscapt9816

Retired, but somehow working harder now...
Premium Subscriber
Web-Only Pricing

that was a bad marketing strategy, if they had done this sale right after thanksgiving they might have sold more. I already bought the GRE 500 when it was on sale thru scannermaster. either scanner is good tho since gre makes em both

If they didn't make the price "web only", they woulda sold more. I got cash-money in my hand, an in-store coupon for $10.00 off (every little bit helps), and no patience. Now I'm in a bad mood.

hoser147

Go down to you local store and talk to the manager, alot of times they can do the deal thru the store, its worth a shot.

Edit you have Mail

Last edited:
Go down to you local store and talk to the manager, alot of times they can do the deal thru the store, its worth a shot.

Edit you have Mail

I did that with my 164. He ordered one for me online, right there in the store, but gave me one he had in stock. Said when mine comes in he will replace his stock with it.

i dont know,,buying new is great,but pre owned is not so bad,,
i scored my 106 off ebay,338USD shipped,,had everything but the box,

And it came with a Factory/Service-Repair,,manual,weaved case,2 batt holders,
All paperwork,800meg antenna-and OEM ducky..

nows a good time of year to score one,,lots of people who dont have the
time to learn all the great features higher end radios hold are selling to get
some extra holiday loot...

their loss,,oh hell yeah is my gain!

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
I did exactly that too. Just took it out of the box last night. I only paid about $12 shipping and NO sales tax. I had been waiting for a Friends & Family sale that never materialized.
You also received a GRE programming cable, GRE CD and a wall wart worth near 50 bucks combined.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Im Done!

The PRO-106 is on sale at $399.99 until 12/15/09. PRO-106 39,000-Channel Digital Handheld Scanner - RadioShack.com It's not $299.99 like last year, but $100 off is $100 less than usual...

Nope, not me!
It's evident now that there are not going to be any F&F coupon discounts this year. If I am going to to spend THAT much, I will save a little longer and go for the newer BC996XT. I'm sorry, but the older Pro-106/197 radios are starting to show their age. (What no new technology available GRE?) At $299 the radios are worth the money. AT $399, given their age, they can keep them. Throw in their "web only" mentality and I say, enough is enough. I've made up my mind....

Manny

SCPD

QRT

The same for me, I ghot tired of waiting on RS to go on sale.. I will start buying all my stuff from Scanner master since RS isn't carrying scanners in the store now...

RadioDaze

...go for the newer BC996XT. ...the older Pro-106/197 radios are starting to show their age

I do prefer the form factor of the Uniden radios. I love my 330T. But I'm on the fringe of LAPD's P25 system, and I need the better P25 decode provided by GRE. If I hear anymore motorboating, I'm gonna lose my mind.

shumadine

A couple of you guys sure do like to whine a lot on this board. Are you OWED a friends and family discount?

Say what you want about old technology, I think my Pro-106 and Pro-197 both kick butt. I waited patiently last year and got each one on sale at a different time.

rmiller818

A couple of you guys sure do like to whine a lot on this board. Are you OWED a friends and family discount?

Say what you want about old technology, I think my Pro-106 and Pro-197 both kick butt. I waited patiently last year and got each one on sale at a different time.

You hit the nail on the head. We are lucky they have sales on them at all, unlike Uniden scanners for the most part. If you missed the last sale RS had, that's your fault so quite whining about it.

Old technology? Hardly. Even if it is, my Pro-106 and 197 outperform my 396XT and 996T on my local P25 LSM system.

DonS

...no sales tax to pay until next year, as I was saying. That frees up about $35 now to spend on programming software.

Heard of any good programs?

I had all these potential responses lined up - both self-promoting and self-deprecating - but decided to go with...

The three programs that support the PSR-500 all have free trial periods. Try them all and spend your money on the one you like the most (or, perhaps, dislike the least).

RadioDaze

I had all these potential responses lined up - both self-promoting and self-deprecating...

I had a few responses lined up for the tax crack, myself. ;)

Seriously, though, I'm reviewing the trial of Win500. Just when I had Win96 all figured out! Gonna be a learning curve...

BTW, I think my blue cable is wonky. I tried all the FTDI drivers, up to 2.06.0.0 and no joy. Win500 didn't see the cable. But my orange cable from the Pro-96 is working fine with it, so far.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
You missed the whole point!!!!

It has been around for a few years now, right around this time too. It's not a matter of being "owed" a discount, it's getting used to getting it every year, you come to expect it. If RS does not give it out anymore, then fine, I make whatever choice I need to make. It has nothing to do with whining.

You hit the nail on the head. We are lucky they have sales on them at all, unlike Uniden scanners for the most part. If you missed the last sale RS had, that's your fault so quite whining about it Old technology? Hardly. Even if it is, my Pro-106 and 197 outperform my 396XT and 996T on my local P25 LSM system.

Once again, it has nothing to do with whining. I own a Pro-106. I have the Win500 program. I am very familiar with the radio and what it does. All I said was that if $399 is the best RS is going to discount the Pro-197, then I choose to go the Uniden route, period! Furthermore, it's not whining when you legitimately expect to get something you have been used to getting for a few years now. They dont OWE it to us, but we have a right to expect it. If it does not materialize then fine, people make their choices accordingly. Some will take that price, others ,like me, will choose to go the Uniden route. It's that simple. For a few bucks more I can have something different and newer. It's my freedom of choice. I did not miss the last sale RS had. I just waited around for the usual F&F coupon which is obviously never going to come this year. It has nothing to do with whining so get over it...

Manny

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.