pro 106 pdw

Status
Not open for further replies.

RDCat

Premium Subscriber
wondering if anyone has gotten a Pro-106 with the PC/IF built-in discriminator tap to decode FLEX/POCSAG signalling via PDW program on there laptop or PC?

K9WG

First the PC/IF is not a discriminator tap. It is a (modified RS232) digital data port for programming the radio and control channel data (dump). So you will not be able to get FLEX/POCSAG from it.

Second the PDW program utilizes the sound card interface to your computer. You either need to supply it with audio from the discriminator tap or sometimes you can use the speaker/headphone out.

Hope this helps

73 de Rich - K9WG

kruser

Premium Subscriber
If you are going to use it for Flex, you need a true discriminator tap which the pc/if output is not as K9WG pointed out.
Second, for any decent decoding, you need a hardware level convertor and a true serial port on the computer. For Flex, you need a 4 level interface. USB to serial adapters do not work either.

Then I often wonder what there is too monitor that is legal? Monitoring your common public paging systems is against federal law.

We own a pocsag system at work and I do use PDW for troubleshooting that system but it is my system and license. For decent decoding of my systems signals, I do need a hardware interface as the soundcard input is iffy. Our system is also very low power and intended as an in house system only so not much signal when a user gets more than a mile or two away.

If I'm not mistaken, the Uniden HP-1 with all the latest upgrades and firmwares installed can output a true discriminator level audio signal for decoding. I have never tried it though so I can't say how well or if it works.

edit: you may get some decoding of low speed (512 baud) pocsag systems straight from the external headphone jack but the 1200 and 2400 systems will need true discriminator level audio.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.