pro 106 power requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.

eliphino

Just purchased a new Pro 106. It requires a 9v 500ma power supply. My 9 volt supply puts out 10.5 volts. Can anyone tell me if this is a problem? Thanks

N0IU

Did you buy the power supply when you bought the scanner or is it one you already had? A little over 9 volts probably won't hurt it, but if you want to be on the safe side, go to RS and buy the recommended one for your model. The more important thing is that the polarity of the plug is correct and that it has a sufficient current rating. Of course I am not going to replace your brand new $500 scanner if it fries when you plug this power supply into it, but I wouldn't think there would be a problem.

P.S. I checked the "wall wart" for my scanner. Even though it says 9VDC output, it is actually 11.14 volts and it has not let the smoke out of my scanner!

Good luck!

DickH

Just purchased a new Pro 106. It requires a 9v 500ma power supply. My 9 volt supply puts out 10.5 volts. Can anyone tell me if this is a problem? Thanks

That is the "no-load" voltage. Once it's connected to the scanner and starts to draw current, it should drop to 9 volts. More important is the current rating. It needs to be more than the scanner actually needs. If it's 500mA, the scanner probably draws no more than 250mA or so. (roughly double, for a safety factor).

jackj

I wouldn't worry about the voltage being a little high. What you have stated is less than a 20% error. Most of the wall power supplies are not well regulated, if at all, and the voltage will vary depending on the load. As Scott says, pay close attention to the plug's polarity. If that's okay, then I wouldn't worry about using it.

eliphino

Thanks for all the replies. The adapter is an older radio shack multi voltage. I will check amperage and polarity. Thanks again.

kayi4cle

Premium Subscriber
If you buy the wallwart for the GRE PSR-500, you don't have to worry about plug polarity. I got one from Scanner Master and it works great!

Status
Not open for further replies.