Pro 106 Power requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.

sfd901

Can anyone tell me what AC adapter to use with the scanner? Also will it charge the rechargeable batteries within the scanner . Do I need a special tip for the adapter?

chipl57

I use a 9 volt 500ma adaptor on my 106, and have no trouble. However, the manual calls for an adaptor that can make 1000ma. The batteries will charge in the scanner. You must use the YELLOW battery holder to accomplish this. The manual also recomends a "C" adaptaplug, but they are loose fitting, and not reliable. The manager at the local Shack here recomended a "B" adaptaplug, and it fits and performs better than the "C."

...for what it's worth..............

chipl57

....Also, you must go to the global menu and set the type of rechargeable batteries you are using...Ni-Cad,or Nimh.....

W4EMS

Premium Subscriber
I use an older Radio Shack (aka The Shack) wall wart with 900 milliamp and voltage you can set with the C adapter tip. It keeps unit charged and running. If you search the archives the common theme is that you should charge your batteries outside the radio using a quality charger. Helps prolong battery life. That said, this adapter works fine. In my shack I have one I have split into two C adapters running a Pro-96 and Pro-106.

kayi4cle

Premium Subscriber
I got this one from Scanner Master for my Pro-106. It's made for the PSR500 which is the same radio. It works great and you don't have to worry about the tip (like with Radio Shack adapters). I don't charge batteries in my radio, so can't help with that.

GRE AC Adapter II

sfd901

Pro 106 ac adapter problems

Ok I went to two Radio Shack stores and none sell a 500 MA 9v adapter. They tried a 9V 800ma adapter with the proper pin and tip and it would not turn on the radio. I have the rechargeable batteries installed with yellow holder and scanner is set to proper type battery. Scanner works fine until you plug it in then it goes blank..Any ideas out there?

W4EMS

Premium Subscriber
If you used a C adaptaplug and the tip was positive and the adapter was plugged into a good plug, then you have a defective rig.

GumbyCT

If you used a C adaptaplug and the tip was positive and the adapter was plugged into a good plug, then you have a defective rig.
If you are using the "C" adaptaplug (Yellow, I think) That is the correct plug. It very well could be a defective unit.

I am not sure if RS sells a Universal adapter but if you have one and can put it on 6V that will confirm that problem is in the radio - if it works on 6V like mine did. Tho mine did turn ON (the display), it just never received anything when the voltage was greater than 6V. I thought it was overdriving the front end.

My defective unit would not work correctly on either 7.5V or 9V. But worked fine on 6V (with the "C" tip +). Keep in mind I measure the voltage output to ensure they were as expected.

HTH

DonS

By design, 9V is correct for the PSR-500 family. (You should be able to supply up to about 24VDC without any adverse effects.)

If a 6V supply worked, but a 9V supply did not, then something is "wrong" - either with the scanner or the power supply.

NYRHKY94

In my situation, Don is correct that the scanner itself has an issue. My "out of warranty" Pro-106 started to experience the exact problem that GumbyCT has pointed out. All of a sudden (i.e. 2 weeks ago) it no longer will scan properly with the CORRECT AC or DC 9v adaptor. It powers up fine, and indicates it is "scanning"....however the 4th line of text does not change and squelch is never broken. It works fine on both types of batteries AND per GumbyCT's suggestion it works fine when using a 6v AC or DC adaptor.

Bottomline: The Pro-106 does indeed appear to be prone to a 9v power issue as described in this thread and one other. Given that mine is out of warranty, I will simply continue to use the suggested "work around" from GumbyCT and use a 6v adaptor when I am off batteries.

Thanks - Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.