Pro-106 Priority Scanning

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScannerSky

Premium Subscriber
Hey all,

Recently, I turned on Priority (PRI) on my Pro-106 scanner for my local fire department channel so when I am scanning other frequencies and there is a transmission on my FD frequency, it will switch over to it. I scan my "Favorites" scan list most of the time. However, Priority doesn't seem to be working. Any reason why? I am not sure what I did wrong but I think everything is set to the way it's supposed to be...Priority is turned on (on both the overall scanner and the specific FD channel I want to hear)

Thanks! :)

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
I don't think "PRI" works when scanning the "fav" or "skywarn", only with the regular scanning....

NYRHKY94

From Page 78 of the user guide:

Priority Scan​
Priority Scan operation is available for CONV
and TGRP objects. When Priority Scan is active,
increased priority is given to objects that have​
their Priority mode set to
ON.

ScannerSky

Premium Subscriber
From Page 78 of the user guide:

Priority Scan​
Priority Scan operation is available for CONV
and TGRP objects. When Priority Scan is active,
increased priority is given to objects that have​
their Priority mode set to
ON.
Thank you - so it only works when scanning regular banks I suppose? Either way I decided what I would do is scan as I regularly do listening to my "favorites" frequencies and when I am responding to a fire call or something where I want to only hear my fire department talkgroup, I will just press "scan" and it is set to scan the FD channel only (Bank 6 is the only one I have active and there is only one freq on there which is my FD freq)

DonS

Priority does work in "Favorites" and "Skywarn".

Is it possible that all (or many) of the objects in your "Favorites" scan list have their priority flags turned on? If so, they won't be interrupted. That is, a priority object cannot be interrupted to check any other priority object.

ScannerSky

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.508 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

DonS said:
Priority does work in "Favorites" and "Skywarn".

Is it possible that all (or many) of the objects in your "Favorites" scan list have their priority flags turned on? If so, they won't be interrupted. That is, a priority object cannot be interrupted to check any other priority object.

I just checked and the only channel with PID (priority enabled) is the fire channel I want to hear. All the rest are lowercase which I suppose means it isn't active. Could it be active but with all the new software updates maybe I don't hear the pauses or something of that sort?

Thanks!!!

ScannerSky

Premium Subscriber
*Right now, I have been managing by scanning a specific bank I put only one frequency (my fire talkgroup) on which for me is Bank 6 - that way I can listen to my "Favorites" when I am leisurly driving and listening and when I need to only hear my fire channel I can just press "SCAN" and listen to only my fire talkgroup (on Bank 6 which is the only channel it scans since that is the only talkgroup on that bank) - you think that makes more sense than using the "Priority" feature?

Thanks in advance for everyone's assistance! :)

Last edited:

ScannerSky

Premium Subscriber
I am trying to hear a TGRP channel (the one I set as my priority object) - it is the only one I set to "PRI ON" on my entire Pro-106. When I am scanning either conventional or TSYS I do not hear a pause in between to check for conversation on the channel I want to hear (the Priority enabled one). I tried removing it from my Favorites list since this is what I was scanning and that was also my priority enabled channel, but I still don't hear the pauses...is there not a pause anymore perhaps? I am scanning a Motorola trunking system...maybe it just has to wait for a pause in the talking then it checks? It's weird because I used to use Priority before I updated my software awhile back on my Pro-106 and it did pause but I am not sure...any help would be greatly appreciated!

***Although I think I just answered my question - I was just reading a thread somewhere on here and someone said that Talkgroup Priority is different than regular priority and that it won't inturupt a talkgroup to check for another priority tgrp - only on conv...that makes sense...I guess I will just stick to using a separate bank for my fire channel...can anyone confirm this please?

Thanks again!

Last edited:

DonS

The scanner will not go periodically check for priority TGRPs. They're only checked a) when the scanner first starts checking a TSYS for traffic, b) whenever the scanner returns to the TSYS's control channel between transmissions, and c) if the scanner can get talkgroup ID info from a voice channel on the system.

ScannerSky

Premium Subscriber
The scanner will not go periodically check for priority TGRPs. They're only checked a) when the scanner first starts checking a TSYS for traffic, b) whenever the scanner returns to the TSYS's control channel between transmissions, and c) if the scanner can get talkgroup ID info from a voice channel on the system.
So I would just be better off keeping the talkgroup I want to hear in a separate bank and whenever I want to only listen to that I just press "Scan" and it will only scan that talkgroup...that's what I have been doing now and I think that will work the best...what do you think?

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
Im not sure this will help but you most likely know that you only need to put in the so called "trunk system" once say in SList "1", then assign the FD-TG to any or all the other "ScanLists you want making "duplicates"....Very neat scanner....

ScannerSky

Premium Subscriber
Im not sure this will help but you most likely know that you only need to put in the so called "trunk system" once say in SList "1", then assign the FD-TG to any or all the other "ScanLists you want making "duplicates"....Very neat scanner....
Thank you - I use Win500 to program my scanner though :)

echz

I've been wondering this for quite some time, as it was my hope that it would interrupt a transmission in progress on a NON-priority talkgroup if the Priority group keyed up during the non-priority transmission ... thanks for clearing this up for me!

Status
Not open for further replies.