PRO 106 programming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Programming System

Can anyone provide a tutorial on programming the pro 106? I'm new to these scanners. I watched a YouTube video but I still can't hear anything.

First of all, I would like to learn if you are attempting to manually program this radio. If so, I cannot help you because, in my opinion, it is tedious & prone to error given the small viewing screen, the scanner's display.

If you happen to have Win500 as a programming system, then I can assist you. I should be able to help you program the radio. Or, if it is not too large of an area, I would possible program it for you. Let me know.

trailrider70

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the replies. I have attempted to program the scanner manually and it doesn't seem to work correctly...probably operator error. I do have the cheat sheet and it helps me to understand it somewhat but Im having no success in hearing anything. At one point I programmed some of the frequencies that were supposed to be P25 as CONV and it actually worked. Not sure what happened there. I do plan on getting the Win500 soft ware and I do have the radio shack cable. Ensnared: I would be glad to have to some help with this in what ever way you can.
Thanks

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
I believe in learning to program these scanners by hand, but would not recommend it when getting things set up the first time. There are tons of places where you need to dot your Is and cross your Ts which are missed, or in some cases not possible, when programming manually.

Once you use software you'll see the myriad of options, choices, selections, etc that must be considered. Then being able to go in and edit something by hand (because your computer is not at hand) is ideal.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Win500

Thanks for the replies. I have attempted to program the scanner manually and it doesn't seem to work correctly...probably operator error. I do have the cheat sheet and it helps me to understand it somewhat but Im having no success in hearing anything. At one point I programmed some of the frequencies that were supposed to be P25 as CONV and it actually worked. Not sure what happened there. I do plan on getting the Win500 soft ware and I do have the radio shack cable. Ensnared: I would be glad to have to some help with this in what ever way you can.
Thanks

Although I have returned to work after a short semi-retirement, I can program rather quickly depending on the city and services you want. Just let me know when you've programmed the cable to connect to the scanner/computer and you have Win500 installed. Then, I will help you out.

Again, manual program, to me, is an exercise in self-flaggelation. Each and every time I've attempted such, I've messed up my radio programming. If you are not careful, you will produce what is called a "heap error." Let me know.

trailrider70

Premium Subscriber
I have paid the registration amount and tried to download the win500 software and it seems like I keep getting an infected file, when I open it, it continuously opens explorer windows until I have to shut down my computer. Anyone have any ideas on how I can successfully download the software?

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
I have paid the registration amount and tried to download the win500 software and it seems like I keep getting an infected file, when I open it, it continuously opens explorer windows until I have to shut down my computer. Anyone have any ideas on how I can successfully download the software?

Are you downloading the Win500 software from this link?

Win500: WS1040, WS1065, PSR-500, PSR-600, PRO-651, PRO-652, PRO-106, PRO-197, PSR-310, PSR-410 Scanner Software for Data Management, Monitoring, and Control

TES

The download from StarrSoft.com is a ZIP file. Here are instructions from Don Starr's page:

Installation
Win500 does not use an "installer" like many Windows programs. You merely download a ZIP file that contains the program and decompress it to a new folder on your machine. Uninstallation merely requires that you delete the program files from your machine.
It is suggested that you use a dedicated "unzipper" like WinZip, as opposed to the unzipping utilities that are built into various versions of Windows. In particular, you CANNOT merely view the ZIP file in Windows Explorer, "open" it in Explorer, and run Win500 from there. You must explicitly extract the contents of the ZIP file.

Status
Not open for further replies.