pro 106 programming

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsauer1343

Premium Subscriber
I'm confused, trying to program my 106 for henn fire and all the channels affiliated truck to truck etc, and also wright co,anoka co and ramsey co to listen to police and state patrol, I'm in Maple Plain, I'm using win500, it seems not picking up much and what I do is broken up. I put the control channel in , than the talk groups, seems the conventional channels I put in pick up much better then the digital channels(154.385) Is there anyone interested in programming this for me? used to be pretty good at this but I'm missing something big time and can't figure it out.
Thanks
Jeff

fredva

Feed Provider
It appears that you are in an area with simulcast transmitters. The PRO-106 is an older generation radio that was not designed to be compatible with digital simulcast. There is a lot of information on RadioReference about simulcast, and the symptoms of the simulcast effect on older scanners is pretty much what you described - missing transmissions and broken up or garbled transmissions. Even though the ARMER system is P25 Phase 1 and the Pro-106 is a P25 Phase 1 scanner, the existence of simulcast is another factor that must be considered when choosing a scanner. The SDS series of scanners from Uniden are designed for simulcast. Unication pagers also receive digital simulcast well, but they don't have all the functionality that people tend to expect in scanners.

Did you recently purchase the 106 or is it a radio that you've had for awhile?

jsauer1343

Premium Subscriber
I've had it a few years and it worked great pre encryption, I have a Pro 2096 that still works great it seems. So, should I be looking at different scanner? I appreciate your input very much, Thank you

fredva

Feed Provider
Based solely on looking in the database at the type of radio system in your area, it seems to me that you'd be better off with a scanner made for simulcast. However, before making a purchase, I'd recommend waiting to see if you get some input from people in the Minneapolis area who are actually listening to the system.

stmills

What control channels/systems are you trying to use- Hennepin East 2001, Hennepin West 2002, City Center 1001?
Plenty of people are successful monitoring ARMER with 2096’s 106’s no need to replace unless you are looking for a new toy.

stmills

You likely will have the best luck with 2002 Henn W. Have you tried just using the system search mode - I think it is Wildcard mode where you can hear all traffic from the system you are monitoring?

jsauer1343

Premium Subscriber
Ive used the search mode and picked up quite a few channels, yes, i can use the wildcard but it picks up all the encryprted channels along the way, I'm not sure what you mean by the 2001 and 2002, are those talkgroups or control channel numbers? Also how do you tune into a tower? Im near one in Maple Plain probably 1/2 mile away, i do attenuate once in a while just to see if im too close but it doesnt seem to change. Thank you much for your input.I been doing simple scanning for 50 years and its really getting harder to keep up with the technology!

stmills

2001 is the Site number for Hennepin East 852.3625
2002 is the Site number for Hennepin West 852.6125.
The only way to really lock on to a specific tower in the system is by adjusting your antenna- for instance if the antenna is a distance away a beam antenna can be aim at the site, the reverse is if you are real close using a low gain antenna, some people report success using a paper clip in the antenna Jack as a low gain antenna for strong signals. My suggestion with the wildcard on Hennepin West was only to see if you are getting good reception on the site. While you are close to the Maple Plain tower there is always the chance that the antenna is on the other side of the tower or may be a directional antenna with a radiation pattern that doesn’t hit your home.

jsauer1343

Premium Subscriber
I'll keep messing with it,It's getting a strong signal when i use the wildcard. My PRO-2096 is coming in clear as a bell. Maybe it's been my radio this whole time and not me.

Status
Not open for further replies.