pro 106 question

voyagerxii

Premium Subscriber
Why does my 106 work better when I'm holding it ? And is it time time upgrade to new scanner ? Thanks in advance.

voyagerxii

Premium Subscriber
Teller County Colorado agencies. Only get parts of conversations. Have all programed . Been working well up till Month ago. Then out of the blue pick up lots of conversations. Works better if holding. Dose not matter if plugged in or on battery if that matters.

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)
Are you monitoring Teller County from inside or outside of Teller County?

When you say "holding," do you mean using the MAN button or the PSE button?

Did you program the scanner with software or by hand? If you used software, did you import the system using the database?

hazrat8990

Premium Subscriber
Why does my 106 work better when I'm holding it ? And is it time time upgrade to new scanner ? Thanks in advance.
Handheld scanners and portable radios tend to work better when you are holding them since your body is acting as the other half of the antenna. Basically you are the ground plane.

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
To answer your 2nd question with regards to State of Colorado DTRS, I don't see an immediate need to have to upgrade your scanner as long as the trunked system stays Phase-I although simulcast distortion may be a factor if you're monitoring Woodland Park and are within range of two or more cells on the simulcast. The other two sites in your county are single-cell so it shouldn't be a factor there

voyagerxii

Premium Subscriber
Good morning and thanks for your replies . I can see the main tower out of the window (Gold Hill) I'm just outside of Woodland city limits. And the 106 is a hand held unit. ARC500pro is what I use to program with. Thanks again to all.

tvengr

Well Known Member
I don't see a Woodland city or town in Colorado or a Gold Hill site on the Colorado DTRS trunked system. Do you mean Woodland Park?

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)
To answer your 2nd question with regards to State of Colorado DTRS, I don't see an immediate need to have to upgrade your scanner as long as the trunked system stays Phase-I although simulcast distortion may be a factor if you're monitoring Woodland Park and are within range of two or more cells on the simulcast. The other two sites in your county are single-cell so it shouldn't be a factor there
Woodland Park is not a simulcast. The group that runs the subsystem licensed most of their sites under a single license, which can be mistaken for a simulcast when you see all the pin points from other site locations. Colorado is very good with labeling our simulcast sites.

Good morning and thanks for your replies . I can see the main tower out of the window (Gold Hill) I'm just outside of Woodland city limits. And the 106 is a hand held unit. ARC500pro is what I use to program with. Thanks again to all.
Hazrat brought up a good point. When you say "holding," did you mean physically holding the scanner in your hands? Do you need to touch the antenna in a certain way to get it to work?

voyagerxii

Premium Subscriber
Good evening. Just holding in my hand. I have a 800mhz. Antenna on the scanner. Woodland Park runs off State of Colorado DTRS Project 25

I get parts of call but not the whole conversations. It doesn't matter what agency it is . Hope this helps

voyagerxii

Premium Subscriber
I may be wrong on the technical name for the tower site but its called gold hill site. It's the highest point in are . Many towers up there ,cell , police and fire ect.

tvengr

Well Known Member
In the database, it is known as Woodland Park:
4 (4)015 (F)Woodland ParkTeller, CO851.075851.2875851.575851.8125852.050852.425c852.675
853.100854.2625854.4875c
6 (6)017 (11)Tenderfoot IITeller, CO851.6875852.225c853.300c853.5375c853.750c858.1875858.4375
6 (6)037 (25)VictorTeller, CO851.625852.0875c852.2375c852.6625c853.550c856.0875

I have an ARC500 file for you to try. It is set up for you to scan by site. Woodland Park is on Scan List 1. Tenderfoot is on Scan List 2. Victor is on Scan List 3. The conventional frequencies are in Scan List 4. You will be able to listen to each site one at a time to determine where you are able to receive traffic. Woodland Park will be your main site. If you are not able to receive the Tenderfoot or Victor sites, turn off scan lists 2 and 3. Save the attached zipped file to your scanner and extract. Open the extracted file with ARC500 and Upload to Scanner. Scan lists as follows:

SCAN LISTS:
1. TelCo WoodlndPrk
2. TelCo Tenderfoot
3. TelCo Victor
4. TelCo Conventnal

Attachments

• Teller County CO GR5.zip
    3 KB · Views: 2

voyagerxii

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for your help. I will give a try later this evening. I will let you know how it works out.

tvengr

Well Known Member
While scanning scan list 4, turn squelch knob fully counterclockwise and slowly turn it up until the RF noise just disappears. That will be your best squelch setting.

voyagerxii

Premium Subscriber
Good Evening tvengr . I am having trouble figuring out how to get your file to my scanner. I have the Radioshack 20-847 interface cable . Sorry to bother you . But how would you get this info to my scanner. Thanks

tvengr

Well Known Member
Go to the Scanner tab in ARC500 and click on Install USB Driver. Did you purchase the key for the software? The demo version has a limited number of uploads and downloads. Make sure you are plugging into the PC/IF jack and not the headphone jack. If your cable has a mono adapter on the end, remove it. The PRO-106 requires a stereo plug.

voyagerxii

Premium Subscriber
Yes I have a purchased ARC500pro . And I have the actual Radioshack programing cable. Thanks will give it a try.

voyagerxii

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for your help. Looks like I'm up and running. I will give a listen and let you know what I have. Have a good evening.

tvengr

Well Known Member
Glad to hear you got the file transferred. Woodland Park will be your main site. You can try to listen to the Tenderfoot and Victor sites to see if you are able to receive them. If the scanner is able to detect the control channel on the other sites, you will see a "T" at the top of the display. The Tenderfoot and Victor sites are at the far south end of the county near Cripple Creek. It may be a challenge to receive either one. Scan lists 1 & 4 will be the main ones you need. Scan lists 2 & 3 will be handy if you travel to the southern area of the county.

Last edited: