PRO-106 Reception Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill22

Premium Subscriber
Here's my issue...

Bought the PRO-106 last June and absolutely love it. However, I'm not loving it do much right now since I am having huge reception issues. I have the unit programmed with StarrSoft (the latest version) and have upgraded both the CPU and Firmware to the most recent releases.

Unfortunately, I am still having the same problem - the scanner does not pick up most of the channels I have programmed in. It will pick up local police/fire (this town, next two towns over; one being Boston, but only the areas closest to me), but will seldom (if at all) pick up any of the channels programmed in any trunked system (Mass. State PD, Massport (I'm right next to Logan)), and it will seldom pick up any AM frequencies, such as those through Logan's tower (again, I am on the outskirts of Logan, so it isn't like I am trying to pull something in from 50 miles away). I have tried different antennas, tried playing with the attenuator settings, and have tried with different settings on the squelch knob.

On the first and second floors of my house I get better results than I do the basement, but I never had any problems using it in the basement before. The reason I am pretty sure it is the unit is because my PRO-96 seems to receive all of the channels the 106 doesn't without any problems. There is not a lot of interference in the house (if there were I would have the same issue with the 96, I believe), and even outside I have these problems.

Obviously the unit is still under warranty for another month and can easily send it back to have Radio Shack look at it, but I figured I'd try here, first, before I pull the rest of my hair out.

Nascar18

Premium Subscriber
Reception

It sounds like the loose screw from the antenna to the board inside the scanner. Do a search on this site for RS 106 loose screw. If you have cell towers close by that could be doing.

kel415

Premium Subscriber
I have posted this issue in a forum myself with no results I am having same issue with my106 got it back in 8/25/09. worked good till few weeks ago now won't lock on very much at all. will get park rangers on digital, my pro160 & 94b will run laps around this 106 now. I have tried everything. Hooked it up on outside antenna and same thing. i did do a update on the app. ver1.4 again and it seem to preform alittle better but still has a bad lag up front. I have not added anything new in my house so I know that is not it. I still say my issue started after I did the update on it.

Bill22

Premium Subscriber
this started before i ran the updates (just ran them this morning in hopes it would fix the problem). no real changes.

kel415

Premium Subscriber
I checked the screw like Bill22 also, I was over in GRE scanner forum and a few has had the same issue that we have Bill22 one had a RX module bad and other had a RF board bad. Both fixed by GRE and now works great, think I'm going to contact the SHACK and see what they say while it is still under warranty. Will post back

Bill22

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry 8130: BlackBerry8130/4.5.0.175 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

401402 said:
make sure your ATT is off

The ATT is and has been off. I had turned it on when I was trying to figure things out, but it is definitely in the off position now.

Last edited:

Bill22

Premium Subscriber
Turns out there were a couple of loose connections inside the scanner. Fixed and appears to be working much better. Only complaint is dropping it at "The Shack" at May 24 and when I got it back yesterday, it showed that it didn't arrive at the repair center until June 8, was fixed June 9, and shipped back on June 10. Interested to know what the deal was between May 24 and June 8 *shrug*

tmfok7

My guess! It arrived at the location, got placed on a shelve upon arrival and once they took it off the shelf to start repairs, it was logged in as "Received". They found the problem in short order, fixed it and sent it back out to you. Good thing they apparently don't use the same method to return the item as they do to receive the item!

Status
Not open for further replies.