PRO-106 reception issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

InlandAZ

I sent my PRO-106 in for repair a month or so ago, they did a realignment and said everything else was just fine. The problem is - I set it next to my 197 and 96 for the same sites and all I hear from the 106 is broken, to no conversations at all (the LED light indicates it’s receiving).

My signal strength is fairly good at ~99% for most of the systems, the speaker is fine, and all conventional frequencies come through loud and clear. It's just the P25 sites that behave this way, and only on the Pro 106.

Anyone have any thoughts as to why?

InlandAZ

Nope, I've checked everything I can think of, including the BNC connector. That's why I sent it out for repair; I'd hoped there was something they'd find. The radio was cloned from the Pro-197, so everything is identical. The Pro 96 has all but one of the sites programmed in (it's a 700 MHz site).

Both of the other scanners lock in simultaneously. Actually so does the 106… it’s just that nothing comes out (on P25 Digital).

ST-Bob

Premium Subscriber
Assuming the Pro-106 and Pro-197 are on the same antenna, they should receive the same. Digital signals are much more affected by multipath and weak signals than analog signals. Antenna choice and location are the two most common factors in poor reception from my experience.

That being said, there may be a few updates available to the CPU and DSP firmware in the 106 which could help. Have you tried those yet?

dan_hfx

pro 96 Vs grepsr800

I have my friends pro 96 and I have found it has much better reception than my GRE PSR 800, so, maybe the pro 96 has a better signal receptor. Just a thought. I did own a pro 106 and I think it got better reception than my GRE.

InlandAZ

Assuming the Pro-106 and Pro-197 are on the same antenna, they should receive the same. Digital signals are much more affected by multipath and weak signals than analog signals. Antenna choice and location are the two most common factors in poor reception from my experience.

That being said, there may be a few updates available to the CPU and DSP firmware in the 106 which could help. Have you tried those yet?
I have the latest of each, but did consider rolling them back - this one's got me stumped.

nostar

Premium Subscriber
I am having the same problem with mine. Have you made any progress?

nostar

Premium Subscriber
I just got mine off Ebay, and am trying to figure out if it's defective. Convential, fine. I've got one TSYS programmed in, and one Wildcard talkgroup programmed and it stops on all kinds of talkgroup ID's that I look up on this website, and confirm to be stuff in my neighborhood. With the volume up all the way, everytime it stops on a P25 talkgroup, I hear a faint buzz. Then it goes slient again when scanning. Do you hear that buzzing to at full volume?

InlandAZ

No buzzing sound, it's basically just silent. I know it's receiving because the LED light comes on. Unfortunately, very little to no sound can be heard (P25 Digital only).

LarrySC

Sounds like operator error. Using WIN500 software you find that you must set P25 in "TYPE" and that should show "P25" in the drop down cell and also set proper Trunking Table. In the "Extended Settings" there are four [4] additional settings for P25. Check all of these and let us know. Larry

nostar

Premium Subscriber
IIn my case, the type is P25 auto. The 4 P25 settings are as follows:

CC detect timeout: 30
VC RF SQ timeout: 50
VC Digital timeout: 100
Qualify CC in analyze: 100

jfhtm350

Is it a P25 conventional channel or a P25 trunk system you are having trouble out of, or both or does it do it on regular conventional channels or Mot Type II systems?

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
AZ,

In January a new P25 system started in my area. The PSR-500 indicated 5 bars and 99% on the control channel. Two Pro 197's on same antenna indicated 4 bars and 99%. However, the 500 never stopped on the system but the 2 197's and a 600 in my car were constantly barking on the system.

I sent the 500 to GRE and they realigned and sent it back. It was much better but appeared to be slightly off on decode tho still indicated 99% and 5 bars. I took the cover off and with 500 on and the 2 197's manually on same talkgroup the 500 sounded slightly off.

I then cranked T4 in this image slightly right which brought the 500 to same audio as the 197's.

Attachments

• GRE Antenna T4 align.jpg
    GRE Antenna T4 align.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 1,289

jfhtm350

Which one of those is T4? I assume its the red colored screw that has been filled with epoxy. You also have a silver screw circled.

InlandAZ

That did the trick fmon - Thanks! In my case, I had to turn it a bit to the left, but it appears to be working perfectly :)

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
Which one of those is T4? I assume its the red colored screw that has been filled with epoxy. You also have a silver screw circled.
See the white arrow? The circled screw is antenna ground. Many scanners had this screw a little loose when shipped, user needed to re-tighten.

It looks like it could be a transformer for the 455 Khz I.F.
That may be correct but likely between antenna and 455 xtal

That did the trick fmon - Thanks! In my case, I had to turn it a bit to the left, but it appears to be working perfectly :)
Outstanding!! :D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.