Pro-106 reception issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Love this radio & it was my go to portable but about 2 months ago I noticed reception was getting alittle snowy sounding and I could no longer take it with me as walking around the static was so bad that any transmissions were choppy.Listening to other radios and walking around my home before leaving the others were loud & clear,the 106 was choppy or just cut out completely.The most effected freq. were 154.130 & 159.660 Chgo fire & red center. I live in Chgo. & had no problem with these freq. but it just gets worse & worse.Sitting on my porch lately i've had the radio on a metal stand & it seemed to work almost perfectly but the second I pick it up it starts cutting out & very static.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Is your BNC connector loose? That would cause your static. The pro-106 and GRE radios have had a problem with this.
Are you getting when you listen to a weather channel?

n9zas

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Antenna & connector seem fine.Problem only seems to happen when i'm carrying or in the car.
I believe the connection that gewecke is referring to may be internal (inside the scanner). See this thread, concerning the PSR-500. Other than the front panel layout (speaker, keyboard, and display arrangement), your Pro-106 is identical. Both scanners are made by GRE.

gewecke

Banned
I believe the connection that gewecke is referring to may be internal (inside the scanner). See this thread, concerning the PSR-500. Other than the front panel layout (speaker, keyboard, and display arrangement), your Pro-106 is identical. Both scanners are made by GRE.

This is true. Firebuff, what are you using for the antenna on your pro-106? There are better choices for specific bands of interest rather than the stock antenna that came with the radio.
Assuming that you do not have a intermittent bnc problem, then I would suspect your antenna.

n9zas

I am using the stock antenna but the radio worked fine with it.The trunked systems work fine it seems to be just the freq in the 151-159 range.if the radio is stationary,on my desk,seems to work fine but when mobile is when the problems occur.

Tried the loose BNC connector fix but the screw was tight.whle examining it noticed the connector was loose,holding the antenna tight to front of radio it worked fine let go and nothing, I've had this problem before with my pro-46,time for a darn service call.

gewecke

Banned
Tried the loose BNC connector fix but the screw was tight.whle examining it noticed the connector was loose,holding the antenna tight to front of radio it worked fine let go and nothing, I've had this problem before with my pro-46,time for a darn service call.

Maybe not, try some different antennas first. Listen to your strongest weather ch while mobile to see if you hear the same symptom? I think either a setting was changed, bnc issue, or wrong antenna for the band you're listening to.

n9zas

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
VHF Reception on Pro106 & PSR 500

When I start experiencing VHF reception issues, it is usually time to send the radio in for repair. When I can no longer receive VHF frequencies that were once monitored, it tends to be a loosened BNC. I've already sent this radio in for repair on two occasions. There are plenty of posts concerning this reception problem. I have posted several myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.