Pro 106, SAME Alerts while scanning

Status
Not open for further replies.

bhxhhcz

Hello-

I have been using my scanner for a while now, and have just recently started to really understand how it works.

I have a question pertaining to SAME alerts.

I have gone into "WX" mode, and turned Priority on, and I have programmed the SAME code to match up with my county. The event is turned ON.

Will I get alerts for my county while I am scanning other conventional or trunked systems? Or do you have to be in WX mode to get SAME alerts?

StinkyB

When you are using WX priority, it will not use the SAME codes, it will alert you when it recieves the NWS alert tone. You will notice a skip in the audio while scanning, this is normal, the scanner is checking the WX freqs for the alert tone about every 2 seconds. In SAME stand by mode, the scanner will use the SAME codes you have programmed, it will tell you what type of weather alert also, you can not scan in SAME stand by mode.

1). How do I enable skywarn on my Pro-106? 2). On SAME what code do I put in there and on the event do I have to put anything in there? Thanks for any help. :)

kendrik578

Live Audio Administrator
Database Admin
1). How do I enable skywarn on my Pro-106? 2). On SAME what code do I put in there and on the event do I have to put anything in there? Thanks for any help. :)

1) FUNC-WX

2)You will need to check the NWS website to find the codes for your county. If you want all the alerts types then leave the event as is.

Last edited:

bhxhhcz

When you are using WX priority, it will not use the SAME codes, it will alert you when it recieves the NWS alert tone. You will notice a skip in the audio while scanning, this is normal, the scanner is checking the WX freqs for the alert tone about every 2 seconds. In SAME stand by mode, the scanner will use the SAME codes you have programmed, it will tell you what type of weather alert also, you can not scan in SAME stand by mode.

So just to make sure I understand, the only way to get the SAME alerts, is to be in standby mode in the WX mode. Then, all it does is wait for alerts for those specific areas. With WX Priority on, you CAN still scan, and it will alert you to any alerts sent out by the NWS? Which means you will get all alerts that you would normally hear in WX mode? Just not the specific ones for the SAME codes I programmed. Am i right?

StinkyB

Wx

So just to make sure I understand, the only way to get the SAME alerts, is to be in standby mode in the WX mode. Then, all it does is wait for alerts for those specific areas. With WX Priority on, you CAN still scan, and it will alert you to any alerts sent out by the NWS? Which means you will get all alerts that you would normally hear in WX mode? Just not the specific ones for the SAME codes I programmed. Am i right?

You are correct!

SOFA_KING

You are right! I use this priority feature quite a bit, and I found a way to minimize the gaps in audio during reception. Since the 1050 Hz tone is transmitted just over 10 seconds, you can sample fewer times with a smaller hole punch and still get an alert. I never miss an alert.

In WIN500 WX settings set:

Check Interval 100
Alarm Timeout 0
1050Hz Qualifier 7
Listen Time 120

It works!

kendrik578

Live Audio Administrator
Database Admin
When I press FUNC/WX it says Skywarn is not enabled. What am I doing wrong? Or am I just not understanding?

Have you programed any skywarn frequency's? When you put in a skywarn freq as you do with any other CONV freq, there is an option of "Skywarn" and you need to put that as yes. Then those you mark as skywarn will show when you go to FUNC-WX.

Last edited:

mymman

Premium Subscriber
NWS tests their alert feature at about noon every Wednesday. The tower I listen to (while scanning) has never missed a test. I was unaware my SAME codes did not function in the scan mode; I have never gotten a real alert that was not for this area.

raisindot

Have you programed any skywarn frequency's? When you put in a skywarn freq as you do with any other CONV freq, there is an option of "Skywarn" and you need to put that as yes. Then those you mark as skywarn will show when you go to FUNC-WX.

Just want to add one thing here...the Skywarn list is nothing more than simply another scanlist that can be quickly accessed, like the "Favorites." You can put any frequencies you want in there, not just Skywarm freqs. This is one of the great marketing deceptions of scanners boasting this feature, although it is still useful.

Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.