Pro-106 Scanner help: scanner stuck on one channel

Status
Not open for further replies.

kachurak

Good evening folks,

Kind of trading uncharted waters here... I tried to program a friend's Pro-106 scanner with a series of scan lists (and was successful), but when I depress the "scan" button, despite the display showing ">>>scanning<<<", I don't believe the scanner is actually scanning. Two things lead me to this conclusion: the "channel display" is stuck on a specific channel (though when I press the "scan" button again, it goes to the next channel and stops), and I set up a scan list with two channels (fire and EMS dispatch, respectively) and compared the traffic to that on my fire pager, and while the pager "squawks", the scanner does not.

Here's what I've checked:
- I've checked to make sure that the LCD and LED parameters in the global prefs are set to alternate tags (150 and 50)
- I've checked that the frequencies are correct (when I load the same list into the tabletop version of the scanner, it seems to work flawlessly); and I've manually set the channel to "fire dispatch" and the traffic matches that of my pager.
- I've updated the scanner programming software to the latest version (Win500); and I've updated the scanner firmware to the latest version (v2.0)

I'm not as familiar with Radio Shack devices as I am other manufacturers' devices, so any help would be greatly appreciated. (And I apologize in advance if the solution was posted elsewhere... I tried to search and read through various other postings, but truth is I'm not sure exactly what to search for)

Best,
Frank

What State and County are you programming? Is digital, analog,mixed, EDAC etc.? Do you have control channels that you need to program? Do you have the weather set to priority? That will make it miss some transmissions because it is checking the weather about every 2 seconds or so. If that is on set it to off.

kachurak

I have several scan lists programmed, but only two marked as "active". Centre County, PA - one for the med channels (conventional) and one for the trunked channels (fire). They are in two separate scan lists; and I can activate/deactivate each one.

For the trunked system, yes, the control channels are entered as well as the talk group entries.

Weather priority os not enabled (as a matter of fact, I believe weather is ignored).

What's happening is that the channels themselves (though enabled) are not scanning. It occurs if I enter an alternate area, as well -- for instance (conventional) Clinton County does the same thing.

It is worth noting that I used the same scan list/programming for a desktop version of the scanner, and it worked flawlessly. It leads me to think that the scanner itself had some option enabled/disabled that is causing this to occur (though, for what its worth, I factory reset the channels and ram).

Thanks in advance for any additional assistance you can offer.

What State and County are you programming? Is digital, analog,mixed, EDAC etc.? Do you have control channels that you need to program? Do you have the weather set to priority? That will make it miss some transmissions because it is checking the weather about every 2 seconds or so. If that is on set it to off.

tglendye

Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River
Premium Subscriber
Not to be insulting, but is the scanlist turned on? And are you sure the frequencies (I am assuming by your description that it's conventional, but not sure if that's correct) are associated with the scanlist? Easy mistakes to make.

kachurak

No offense taken. The scan lists are enabled, and turned on. The scanner appears to scan, but gets hung up on the first channel of whatever bank is turned on.

It appears to happen to both conventional and trucked scan lists.

Not to be insulting, but is the scanlist turned on? And are you sure the frequencies (I am assuming by your description that it's conventional, but not sure if that's correct) are associated with the scanlist? Easy mistakes to make.

gr8rcall

Premium Subscriber
If what you are trying to scan is trunking, is the system rebanded. If so, you need to make sure that you have you rebanding tables in. I had the same problem. The scanner is told that a certain TG is going to be active, and it will stop on that tg. The problem arises when you have the tables which tell the scanner what freq to go to.

Make sure that the objects that you're trying to scan are in the right scanlist. Also, make sure they're not locked out.

P.S. If what you are trying to monitor is trunking but is not rebanded, the rebanding portion means nothing. Also, if it's not trunking pay no attention to the rebanding part as well. Also, as mentioned above, I'm not trying to insult you.

Last edited:

Combustion

This thread is old so this may not help, but for the next person searching the problem.

My scanner was doing the same thing. Could not figure it out. Reset the Global setting to default.
Press 0 during the initial "welcome/owner" screen, then press 1 then press "ENT" then press any key.
Not sure what toggeld in the global setting but this fixed it.

I had figured it was a global setting because it would not work properly on any of the 8 trunking systems nearby nor would the weather search work. It would lock and mute on a conventional channel.

w2xq

Mentor
Wirelessly posted (Moto Droid Bionic: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10_6_3; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.16 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0 Safari/533.16)

Maybe silly question, but is the squelch open? If the scanner is a year or more old, perhaps installing the latest ROM update might help? HTH.

Combustion

It's an interesting problem, it comes and goes. Here are the symptoms.

If you have a scan list of trunked systems and conventional channels it will stop on a conventional channel and sit there totally mute. You can open up the squelch and it will not do anything.

If you go into that same list and lock out the conventional channels objects it will scan the trunked systems just fine as it normally would.

So it's a conventional channel object related problem. I will hit on the first conventional frequency object and sit there. If you hit scan it moves to the next one and sits. I will not come alive even if there is a transmission on that object frequency.

It will not scan the weather channels when it goes into this mode. Selecting a known weather channel results in strong signal strength on the meter but no audio even with the squelch open.

Yes it is a squelch problem!!!!. This is a classic the only analog controls on the radio. These radios must have two functions controlled by two separate potentiomers off of the squelch knob. The radio ages and the potentiomer(s) get dirty, we've all had it happen to the volume control. Well, it latches onto the channel but doesn't open up the audio. I messed around jaking the squelch back and forth 30 or 40 times and the radio would then work. But it was inconsistant. So took the back off and gave it a shot of cleaner/lubricant and problem is fixed.

scottybo14

It's an interesting problem, it comes and goes. Here are the symptoms.

If you have a scan list of trunked systems and conventional channels it will stop on a conventional channel and sit there totally mute. You can open up the squelch and it will not do anything.

If you go into that same list and lock out the conventional channels objects it will scan the trunked systems just fine as it normally would.

So it's a conventional channel object related problem. I will hit on the first conventional frequency object and sit there. If you hit scan it moves to the next one and sits. I will not come alive even if there is a transmission on that object frequency.

It will not scan the weather channels when it goes into this mode. Selecting a known weather channel results in strong signal strength on the meter but no audio even with the squelch open.

Yes it is a squelch problem!!!!. This is a classic the only analog controls on the radio. These radios must have two functions controlled by two separate potentiomers off of the squelch knob. The radio ages and the potentiomer(s) get dirty, we've all had it happen to the volume control. Well, it latches onto the channel but doesn't open up the audio. I messed around jaking the squelch back and forth 30 or 40 times and the radio would then work. But it was inconsistant. So took the back off and gave it a shot of cleaner/lubricant and problem is fixed.
Thank God for Google.

I had the same issue and had no idea how to fix it. Would always get stuck on the first channel. Squelch was fully closed.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.