Pro-106 Scanning Trouble?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScannerSky

Premium Subscriber
Hey all,

Recently (in the past couple days or so), I have noticed my Pro-106 scanning with low signal strength and it is choppy when listening to my trunking. Usually, the reception/signal strength is great where my scanner is but it seems to be different now. Is there something that could have interfered with my scanner? Or could it just be the wind? Still makes me wonder though...

Thanks!!! :)

ScannerSky

Premium Subscriber
I opened it up and tightened that screw - not sure if it was loose to begin with but better safe than sorry! Thanks so much!! Happy scanning! I am thinking about getting a case from ScannerMaster for my baby - maybe something to hang it on as well? :) lol

What's intereseting is that I cannot get the same signal I did before with my scanner where I always kept it - even after checking the screw inside. It isn't windy anymore - what could it be? It seems a bit jumpy and it is missing the beginning of transmissions sometimes...hmm...

Last edited:

kendrik578

Live Audio Administrator
Database Admin
it is missing the beginning of transmissions sometimes...hmm...

If it's analog transmissions your missing you may want to change the DG Int Prime setting PGM/FUNC/GLOB/DG Int Prime a good setting is around 20. This is how long it sets on a TG to detect if its digital or not and can cause you to miss the first part of an analog transmission.

ScannerSky

Premium Subscriber
It was set to 60 already - I am a bit confused. Can you explain a little better? lol sorry I appreciate it so much!

Thanks again!

kendrik578

Live Audio Administrator
Database Admin
Thats why you are missing analog. Set it to 20 and see how much faster it picks it up. Thats the time its sets on a TG to determine whether or not it's digital. It's complicated to explain but if you set it to 20 then it will work much better.

Last edited:

DonS

Be aware that setting DG Int Prime too low (and I consider a value of 20 to be questionable) can cause "motorboating" on digital voice channels.

kendrik578

Live Audio Administrator
Database Admin
Be aware that setting DG Int Prime too low (and I consider a value of 20 to be questionable) can cause "motorboating" on digital voice channels.

Just depends. I have mine on 19 and almost never have trouble unless i get a weak signal. But if he finds it to be too low he can play with it untill he finds it just right.

Last edited:

ScannerSky

Premium Subscriber
Thanks guys! I am gonna leave it where it is for now but I will take what you said into consideration. I did open up my scanner to see if that screw was loose but I think it was fine. I think it may be the weird weather we have been having...it was really windy last week so it may have done something to the tower...who knows. Happy scanning, as always! :)

N8IAA

Thanks guys! I am gonna leave it where it is for now but I will take what you said into consideration. I did open up my scanner to see if that screw was loose but I think it was fine. I think it may be the weird weather we have been having...it was really windy last week so it may have done something to the tower...who knows. Happy scanning, as always! :)

Rain, snow, wind have a lot of affect on how signals are received. Especially on 800Mhz. Rain and snow actually block radio signals at that high of a frequency! Wind moves antennas around adding to the signal loss. Having an antenna that is for the frequency range, especially on bad weather days, is important. Don't forget buildings, trees, and other man made objects that can get in the way of receiving the signal:)
And, if any is digital, it compromises the signal even more.
Larry

pathalogical

Hey all,

Recently (in the past couple days or so), I have noticed my Pro-106 scanning with low signal strength and it is choppy when listening to my trunking. Usually, the reception/signal strength is great where my scanner is but it seems to be different now. Is there something that could have interfered with my scanner? Or could it just be the wind? Still makes me wonder though...

Thanks!!! :)
When scanner is on, look at the display screen. Do you see G or A or both ? It is the attenuation feature which allows you to reduce the incoming signal strength when there is an extremely strong signal nearby that overpowers the whole scanner. If this is the case, remove the G and/or A.

ScannerSky

Premium Subscriber
I appreciate the help everyone! Nope, the attenuation is off - first thing I checked! lol Again, I really appreciate it. It is starting to scan back normal again! It's a beautiful thing! lol

Happy Holidays!

ibagli

When scanner is on, look at the display screen. Do you see G or A or both ? It is the attenuation feature which allows you to reduce the incoming signal strength when there is an extremely strong signal nearby that overpowers the whole scanner. If this is the case, remove the G and/or A.

If just the G is on, the attenuator is not active. It merely means that the ATT button turns the global attenuator on or off.

cfr301

The G used to be on but I took it off - now there is no A or G...is that normal?

Oh My I've never seen my Radio's "G" less What is this world coming too!!! All Kidding aside I'd leave it like the post says above, but your radio won't implode or anything with it off...or well it shouldn't I wouldn't think but then again... (Humor Folks HUMOR)

Status
Not open for further replies.