PRO 106 setup help for StarCom digital system

Status
Not open for further replies.

wl7cta

I just purchased a pro106 and it works great except for my local digital state system on StarCom 21, Illinois new state system. I program the radio w/multiple settings, to try to get the scanner to receive the system better. I just get one or two words out of each transmission, and the rest is all garbled.

What settings am I screwing up? Multi site, Roam, dwell, dig agc..the manual doesn't explain these really well, and then starcom in itself is a nightmare system..etc....I don't know what the settings should be...I am lost, and this scanner is frustrating the heck out of me. I could program the old scanners w/my eyes closed, but this one is a whole nuther ballgame. Oh, and the manual is a real winner too!

-Aaron

Thanks in advance

jamesa53

106 Simulcast Distortion

This is just one of many threads on this topic in the Illinois forum:

http://forums.radioreference.com/illinois-radio-discussion-forum/102431-starcom-21-psr-500-a.html

Whenever I visit DuPage County, my 106 experiences this to some degree on the Elgin tower which uses 700MHZ freqs.

Also the manual for this radio does leave a lot to be desired, check the Wiki links for easier to read manuals for it. Best bet is to get and use Win500 software and a programming cable.

Last edited:

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
I live in the southern suburbs and have programmed individual towers in my area in my GRE500 with multisite=OFF...Seems better that way and the GRE/RS digitals in my estimation do not track the Starcom system as well as my Uniden396XT except for the 800mgz stand alone towers...The multisite towers and "overload" from other sources seem to cause more problems for the 500/106 than the Uniden products...Starcom digital multisite is a whole other ballgame...When im in So. Elgin at a relatives i use T115 for most of good listening....I never take my GRE500 in the mobile anymore as it looses the CC on most towers quite frequently more than the 396XT....My personal opinion!!...

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I just purchased a pro106 and it works great except for my local digital state system on StarCom 21, Illinois new state system. I program the radio w/multiple settings, to try to get the scanner to receive the system better. I just get one or two words out of each transmission, and the rest is all garbled.

What settings am I screwing up? Multi site, Roam, dwell, dig agc..the manual doesn't explain these really well, and then starcom in itself is a nightmare system..etc....I don't know what the settings should be...I am lost, and this scanner is frustrating the heck out of me. I could program the old scanners w/my eyes closed, but this one is a whole nuther ballgame. Oh, and the manual is a real winner too!

-Aaron

Thanks in advance

Any better luck aaron? I'm probably going to be experiencing some of your headache after friday. Let me know your opinions if you don't mind?
n9zas

Status
Not open for further replies.