PRO 106 swishing sound

Status
Not open for further replies.

prowisscan

Greetings, I have been using my pro 106 for over 10 years now and its been a great workhorse. However, lately it has been producing a swishing sound which is coming through the built in speaker or any other external source that is plugged into the headphone jack. The sound is present when monitoring a strong or modest analog signal, does not happen when listening to a digital signal. This phenomenon occurs usually within a couple of minutes after turning it on. The swishing noise is comparable to when listening to someone transmitting with wind in the background. Any thoughts or advice? Thanks in advance.

jfhtm350

I remember this being a problem years ago. Can't remember what the problem was but do a search.
Vague memory is wanting to say it is dust in volume knob but don't quote me on that.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Dust in the volume control was a common complaint. A can of electronic tuner spray from Radio Shack was the solution. Since RS is not available anymore in most area, do a check online and you will find several brands of similar sprays.

tvengr

Well Known Member
A dirty volume pot would cause noise in both analog and digital signals. If you run the volume up, is the problem more noticeable?

prowisscan

Yes, the louder the volume the louder the noise; this only occurs when listening to analog and not in digital. Digital modes like P25 it is not present.

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
Keep working the volume knob back and forth and see if it starts to diminish, its not a fix but it helps for awhile, i have the same problem.....

tvengr

Well Known Member
If the noise increases with volume, there is a possibility that the vibration from the speaker could be shaking a loose or dirty plug inside the scanner. I would remove the cover and make sure all of the plugs are firmly seated.

jfhtm350

Maybe my memory is better than I thought. Seems like I remember that the volume pot was a sealed unit and no cleaner could get in.

Status
Not open for further replies.