PRO-106: Trouble w/ Programming for Rebanded Channels

Status
Not open for further replies.

SomeDude64

Premium Subscriber
How does one modify a PRO-106 to listen to a rebanded trunked system? I'm trying to listen to the recently rebanded police/fire channels in Prince William County, VA. I'm using a new unregistered trial version of WIN500 and a paid subscription to Radio Reference. I'm able to import the trunked PWC info from RR but when I upload it to the scanner, I'm still not hearing anything. Was RR updated for the PWC rebanding? Is there a way I can tell if my scanner was properly updated by checking a specific stored control channel frequency? The documentation for WIN500 was no help to me at all. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I'm not familiar with the 106, but I would think you should be able to step thru the freqs in your TSYS to validate that the freqs in the database match those in your scanner. We also have a snapshot at the bottom of this article of what the custom rebanding form in Win500 should look like

Object Oriented Scanner Software - The RadioReference Wiki

Apart from some sort of user error (always a possibility) are you close enough to Prince William to hear the system? What antenna are you using?

If nothing else, it might be time to jump down to the Virginia forum and post the contents of your file, and see if someone spots the error...just some random thoughts...Mike

Highpockets

How does one modify a PRO-106 to listen to a rebanded trunked system? I'm trying to listen to the recently rebanded police/fire channels in Prince William County, VA. I'm using a new unregistered trial version of WIN500 and a paid subscription to Radio Reference. I'm able to import the trunked PWC info from RR but when I upload it to the scanner, I'm still not hearing anything. Was RR updated for the PWC rebanding? Is there a way I can tell if my scanner was properly updated by checking a specific stored control channel frequency? The documentation for WIN500 was no help to me at all. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Maybe this will give you a little help with Win500:

WIN500 - UtahRadio

SomeDude64

Premium Subscriber
ka3jjz,

I can step through the TSYS but I'm not even sure if the database has the old frequencies or the new ones. I'm just using the rubber antenna that came with the PRO-106 but that shouldn't be an issue. I had been listening to the PWC police/fire channels for quite a while. It went silent on the day they rebanded. I did post in the Virginia forum but got no reply.

Highpockets,

Thanks for the link to the WIN500 tutorial.

Thanks to both of you for trying to help me. I'm hoping to have some time to resolve it this weekend.

n5ims

The database (Prince William County Trunking System, Prince William, Virginia - Scanner Frequencies) appears to have the rebanded frequencies listed (you can tell since they start with 851 - 853 not 866 - 868).

One thing to verify is that you have your radio set to use the rebanded Trunking Table setting. From the Win500 link above:

Custom Band Plan (Trunking Tables)

To edit or install a Custom Band Plan (Trunking Tables), click on the TSYS Objects tab > click on the Trunking Tables bar, and when the next window opens, click the drop-down menu and select the appropriate band plan > click OK. For the 800 MHz trunking systems select 800 MHz Rebanded. This band plan or trunking table will be good for systems already rebanded as well as those not yet rebanded.

SomeDude64

Premium Subscriber
n5ims,

I tried using the instructions you posted but still no success. I even tried changing a few more options, such as changing the "Trunking Tables" option to "Custom" but those attempts failed as well. I'm wondering if there's a way I can make the necessary changes on the radio itself rather than using WIN500. I do appreciate your help anyway.

VE3JSO

do you have the up to date cpu and i think it the dsd firmware if not try updateing the firmware to see if that helps because when i bought my scanner jan of last year they had an update in the firmware to allow the rebanded freqs that the fcc required

Last edited:

SomeDude64

Premium Subscriber
animaljr43,

I'm running Boot Ver RF1.2 and App Ver 2.0, the latter of which I just upgraded last week. I'm assuming these are the latest versions. Thanks for the reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.