Pro 106 Trunking Issues, Reprograming after rebanding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kscan75

Hello all. Ive been trying for about 3 weeks to reprogram my pro106 with no success. I upgraded the firmware/software to 2.1/1.4 from the radio reference link, it displays the current updates. I downloaded the ARC500 software and downloaded the rebanded frequencies into bank 1 of the scanner. (reset scanner 1st). Conventional frequencies are fine even weak ones so the antenna and connection are ok. I just cant get anything that was trunked working again. I'm using Jefferson County Public Services/Motorola9 Alabama) is the only trunking system I've loaded, used defaults in the software. I am receiving a few very strong signals in the 800mhz band, if enter Func + Tune it lands on 855.6875, I can hear P25 audio from an unknown fire department. Nothing I do seems to get it going again, never a "T" symbol. I know Birmingham fire and Jefferson county are still available because they are being streamed. Thanks in advance for any help.

tvengr

Well Known Member
I don't understand what you mean by downloaded the frequencies into bank #1. This is a trunking system.

Last edited:

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
It would be more helpful to know which state this trunk system is in. If it is a true P25 system, no trunking tables are needed...however if it's a mixed mode system (both analog and digital) then you need a special rebanding table that ARC500 should have provided to you. Here is the ARC500 user guide, hosted in our wiki...

Assuming your system is not P25, then see section 2.6 of the above guide...Mike

tvengr

Well Known Member
It is a 800 Motorola type 2 rebanded system in Jefferson Co Alabama. I have ARC500 and can take him through the steps of entering the custom rebanded table. I am going to be working on the step by step instructions and post it shortly.

Last edited:

kscan75

This is in Alabama. Under my trucked system ,(Jefferson County Public Services/Motorola ) there is a entry frequencies, "double click" and there are about 8 shown. Everything I downloaded went into scanlist 1. I think this system is APCO25 ph1.

tvengr

Well Known Member
On the Object Browser of ARC500, click on Trunk Systems. Click on the green + icon to add a system. The System Type will probably come up as MOT 800/900. If not, change it to that. Double click on the Alpha Tag and name the system. Use something like Jefferson Co. We'll try it with the Jefferson Co Simulcast site. On the Radio Reference database, you will a red control channel frequency and 3 blue alternate frequencies on the Simulcast site. Double click on the frequency box and enter those 4 frequencies. That will be 854.5125, 854.6375. 855.6875, and 857.2375. The order doesn't matter. On this particular site, you don't have to worry about rebanded frequencies. If you see 851, 852, or 853 MHz frequencies, you need to be concerned about rebanding. In case you add other sites with rebanded frequencies, we will set this up as a rebanded system. Double click on Multi-Site and set to Off. Double click on T-Tables and set to Custom. Double click on Edit T-Tables. You will see a blank table. Click on Load Reband Table. That will load your rebanded table. Click OK. You have now set up a 800 MHz Motorola Type 2 rebanded system. Click on File and Save As. Name the system something like Jefferson Co and click Save. The next set of instructions will be on entering talkgroups.

tvengr

Well Known Member
Please let me know when you have the system set up so that we can get started with how to enter the talkgroups. Once you understand how to do that, I will save you some time. I have already programmed a file for the Jefferson Co System. The scan lists are as follows:
SCAN LISTS
1.Jefferson Sheriff
2.Jefferson Fire
3. Birmingham PD
4. Birmingham Fire
5. Bham Intl Airport
6. Adamsville
7. Bessemer
8. Brighton
9. Fultondale
10. Gardendale
11. Homewood/Hoover
12. Irondale
13. Lipscomp/Morris
14. Mountain Brook
15. Pleasant Grove
16. Tarrant
17. Trussville
18. Vestavia Hills
19. Warrior/Trafford
20. Univ of Alabama
Save the attached zipped file to your computer and extract. Open the extracted file with ARC500 and save it. Just keep the file for later. You can use it after feeling comfortable doing the programming yourself. Only the first 4 scan lists will be active when you upload the file to the scanner. You can select whatever else you want by using the keypad. I have some things I have to do and then I will start on the step by step instructions on how to enter the talkgroups.

Attachments

• Jefferson Co.zip
    3.8 KB · Views: 6

tvengr

Well Known Member
Here is the procedure for adding talkgroups in ARC500. Click on Talkgroup in Object Browser. Click on Talkgroup ID on the first row. Enter the TGID (DEC) for the first talkgroup. Click on Alpha Tag and enter the name for that talkgroup. Scan lists enable you to control what you want to listen to. You group similar talkgroups in a scan list such as Jefferson Co Sheriff in scan list 1 and Jefferson Co Fire in scan list 2. Click on Scan List. Scan lists 1 to 10 are selected by pressing 1 to 0. Scan lists 11-20 are selected by pressing the letters q-p left to right on the next row down. Each talkgroup must be assigned to a trunk system. Double click on Trunk System. It will open a box saying None. Click on the arrow. In this case, you will see a choice of None or Jefferson Co. Select Jefferson Co. If you have set up multiple systems, they will all be displayed for you to make a choice. If you set up a system for Shelby Co, the talkgroups on that system would be assigned to Shelby Co. Lockout is used to prevent the scanner from stopping on a talkgroup while scanning. You can still scroll to it in manual (MAN) mode. Double clicking on LockOut will toggle it on and off. If you run out of rows for entering talkgroups, click on the green + icon to add as many as you need. To save time, you can copy and paste parameters for the talkgroups. For instance, once you select Jefferson Co as the Trunk System for the first talkgroup, you can copy it and then highlight the Trunk System column for the rest of the talkgroups using that system and then paste. You can do the same thing with scan lists. If you click on Global Settings and then ScanLists, you can name the scan lists. By naming the scan lists, the list name will be displayed on the screen when you turn it on and off using the keypad. The scan lists that are checked will be active when you turn on the scanner after uploading. That pretty well gives you all of the information you need for adding talkgroups. If you have any questions, please let me know.

Last edited:

kscan75

Thanks for your in depth help, that takes a lot of time on your part. I did upload file as is to the scanner, the 1st 4 scan lists are are active.
Its still scanning, showing Jeff. Co., receiving some strong signals, it just does not stop on any traffic whatsoever. Pressing Func+Tune, it stopped on 855.6875, receiving audio just no clue who im listening to. I am going to drive up the hill to a much higher altitude and see if that helps.

tvengr

Well Known Member
Set the squelch to minimum. How strong is the signal? You may be overloading the receiver. Try turning on the attenuator. 855.6875 is listed as the control channel. You should hear a buzz, no voice. Do you have a "T" flashing at the top left of the screen. If you do, that indicates that the scanner is receiving control channel data.

kscan75

Here is the procedure for adding talkgroups in ARC500. Click on Talkgroup in Object Browser. Click on Talkgroup ID on the first row. Enter the TGID (DEC) for the first talkgroup. Click on Alpha Tag and enter the name for that talkgroup. Scan lists enable you to control what you want to listen to. You group similar talkgroups in a scan list such as Jefferson Co Sheriff in scan list 1 and Jefferson Co Fire in scan list 2. Click on Scan List. Scan lists 1 to 10 are selected by pressing 1 to 0. Scan lists 11-20 are selected by pressing the letters q-p left to right on the next row down. Each talkgroup must be assigned to a trunk system. Double click on Trunk System. It will open a box saying None. Click on the arrow. In this case, you will see a choice of None or Jefferson Co. Select Jefferson Co. If you have set up multiple systems, they will all be displayed for you to make a choice. If you set up a system for Shelby Co, the talkgroups on that system would be assigned to Shelby Co. Lockout is used to prevent the scanner from stopping on a talkgroup while scanning. You can still scroll to it in manual (MAN) mode. Double clicking on LockOut will toggle it on and off. If you run out of rows for entering talkgroups, click on the green + icon to add as many as you need. To save time, you can copy and paste parameters for the talkgroups. For instance, once you select Jefferson Co as the Trunk System for the first talkgroup, you can copy it and then highlight the Trunk System column for the rest of the talkgroups using that system and then paste. You can do the same thing with scan lists. If you click on Global Settings and then ScanLists, you can name the scan lists. By naming the scan lists, the list name will be displayed on the screen when you turn it on and off using the keypad. The scan lists that are checked will be active when you turn on the scanner after uploading. That pretty well gives you all of the information you need for adding talkgroups. If you have any questions, please let me know.
Set the squelch to minimum. How strong is the signal? You may be overloading the receiver. Try turning on the attenuator. 855.6875 is listed as the control channel. You should hear a buzz, no voice. Do you have a "T" flashing at the top left of the screen. If you do, that indicates that the scanner is receiving control channel data.

I downloaded your file into the software, then scanner. Appears to be scanning lists1-4, never stops on a signal. TUNE function usually stops on 855.6875, but there have been other frequencies. Sometimes there is a T symbol, sometimes audio; today I heard what I later identified as Birmingham Fire.
Attenuater didnt help or trying in a much higher location.
I did, in software, turn on LED's for any Birmingham Fire group as an indicator. I'm listening now to Birmingham Fire now, no LED's light up. Just doesnt want to scan. It will scan if i program conventional frequencies in.

kscan75

Sorry to report superTrack didn't help. I also tried "roam" under multi site. Strange.

kscan75

Fire dept, county police. i think Birmingham police are gone. Sometimes I can hear BFD by the TUNE function on 855.6875 .

zenomorf

Fire dept, county police. i think Birmingham police are gone. Sometimes I can hear BFD by the TUNE function on 855.6875 .
they are not gone. stop using software and use the radio key pad. go to RR look up birmingham or simulcast, load all the freuqs as convenional and hit scan. you will hear lots of stuff. you must be within 10 miles to hear it good.

Reactions: wtp

tvengr

Well Known Member
The 4 Birmingham PD dispatch talkgroups are the only Birmingham PD talkgroups I entered. All others show encrypted. We are using the Jefferson Co simulcast site. All of the Jefferson Co sheriff and fire talkgroups as well as Birmingham fire are programmed. Roam wouldn't help since only the simulcast site control channel frequencies are entered. kscan75, in addition to what you have, try entering the red control channel and blue alternate frequencies for the other 7 sites and change Multi-Site to stationary. Try with Check All CC both on and off. I would suggest making a copy of the original file to keep as a backup.

Last edited:

kscan75

Thanks to all who helped trying to get my 106 to work again. Ive tried every possible configuration, still wont scan and stop on a talkgroup. It is scanning, recieving some very strong signals. Never see a T trunking symbol, you might see one if you FUNC + Tune, but no 'T' while scanning. Sometimes there is audio on frequencies using the TUNE function, never see a talkgroup id. This scanner was cloned from a friends scanner, I called him tonight, his scanner has the same problem, scans, no ID's, never a ' T ' symbol. Both scan conventional frequencies, just no talkgroups. Has something changed here locally that has not been documented yet? Again, thanks for the help, I've just been very busy.

Status
Not open for further replies.